Herpes Community
Dizziness-- related to herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Dizziness-- related to herpes?

Hi, I'm a 22 year old female. I've had genital herpes (hsv1) for about 13 or 14 months and am at the tail end of my 4th ever outbreak.  I'm also at the very end of what has been a very light period.

I've been taking Yaz for 3 years. I don't drink alcohol or take any other drugs. My eating habits have not changed recently.

The past week or so I have been experiencing dizzy spells. During these spells I feel dizzy, light headed and almost like my cheeks and hands are just slightly numb. The spells last a few minutes and usually occur every couple of hours.

I realize that this seems like it would just be a typical effect of having my period except my period has been very light and I've never experienced this before.

Could the dizziness be a result of herpes?

Also-- do you think that I should be taking Valtrex? From what I've read, people with genital HSV1 shouldn't experience more than a couple of outbreaks, and it seems like I've had more than is typically described.
this isn't likely to be related to your herpes. this is serious enough that you should follow up monday with your medical provider. If you have a worsening of symptoms before then, be seen at your local ER.  

as far as your herpes, never a bad idea to get properly tested for yeast and bacterial infection vaginally. you don't always have obvious odor or discharge with either.

grace
Hi Grace, thanks for your  response.

When you mentioned being tested for yeast/bacterial infection-- are you saying that possibly the herpes outbreaks could be indicators that something else is wrong (rather than the other way around) -- such as a yeast or bacterial infection?

Thanks again!
herpes can absolutely cause dizziness and tinnitus

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12972911

"Morphological changes to the inner ear of Ménière's sufferers have also been found in which it was considered likely to have resulted from attack by a herpes simplex virus."
remember, this disease can present much differently from person to person
that's why it's poorly diagnosed and recognized by most physicians
this is hsv1 orally that is associated with this - not genital herpes.

grace
yes indeed vaginitis can trigger genital herpes to be more active as well as mimic it.  Since about 1/2 of women who have bv don't get obvious discharge/odor to know it, getting properly tested to see if you have a vaginitis is well worth it.  

did you ever follow up on your dizzy issues?