Herpes Community
Do Herpes Blisters ALWAYS hurt??

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Do Herpes Blisters ALWAYS hurt??

About me:
I am mid 30's.  Have just undergone my 3rd Colonoscopy and 2nd EDG in 3 years.  They are running more biopsy's (From both ends..:)and I will find out the results this week.  Each colonoscopy the doc pulled out polyps.  

I am normally VERY active.  It's very common for me to run my body so hard I have to sleep for a weekend straight to catch-up.  IE: typical for me to be up at 4:30 -> run for a half hour -> work a full day 8-9 hrs -> go to MMA / Boxing class 1-2 hrs -> eat study and go to bed...  On the weekends (both Sat and Sunday) I am out the door by 7 - 8 and skydive all day and go home.  Repeat the week......

History:
Before I went to see the doc this last time (blood in stool and I had a spell when I would wake up in the middle of the night and vomit - some blood in that too from time to time) I was at that time of my body giving out - and just getting over a cold.  (or what I thought was a cold)  During that time (of the cold) I was very stuffed up and using Restaurant napkins and work bathroom hand paper towels to blow my nose.  As well as my sleeve when working out..:((  IE Very rough things.  I developed some sores on my nostrils...  While I was seeing the gastroenterologists he made a comment that I had "fever blisters" and he said Herpes.  He gave a prescription to help heal them..    Three days before that I had oral and intercourse sex with a girl...  I talked to her and explained what the doc said.  We both did research and she made a comment that she remembers having cold sores growing up I'm sure I have too.  

Last night (after skydiving wearing boxer briefs all day - I woke up around 1:00 AM to pee and felt one bump towards the left bottom side of my scrotum.  Close to the joint of the leg and abdomen (Crotch).  I can touch it, rub it and eventually it will get irritated, BUT no major stinging or burning.  I have in the past seen doctors regarding bumps like this and they have all (I think 2 times) told me I had an ingrown hair.  I am not a very promiscuous person.  I am more of a STD hypochondriac.  I have another appointment this week with the Gastroenterologist to go over the biopsy results and will ask him to look at this as well...  

But my question for now is:
- Do Herpes ALWAYS hurt?  Can the "pain" feeling vary from person to person.  I like to think I have a fairly high threshold for pain (not to be arrogant).  But I don't twitch when I touch this...

thanx
I'm so sorry to hear of what you've been going through ...... I think you need to be tested to be certain of your status,Herpes sores can vary in severity some people experience very painful sores whilst others have milder less painful outbreaks .... everyone is individual were pain is concerned.
Do get tested

I wish you well

Daisy
Thanx so much for the fast reply - a couple more things I forgot to mention...  

-  I masterbated earlier in the evening and used lotion before going to bed.  Not appropriate lotion (hand lotion) could that have caused the irritation??  I didn't notice any pain then.  Also I normally have to shower before sleeping - last night I didn't, but did after I saw the bump.

- Doc took blood tests before my procedure the other week.  I asked if they could run HSV1 and 2 blood tests.  The doc said it wasn't necessary.  I told them I wanted them ran anyways...  So we'll see if they did...

- It's only one bump.  I just checked and it seems the bump is going away already...
If it's going away already then it's probably not due to herpes.

masturbating with hand lotion could've caused it too.

grace
Thank you Grace for replying.  I looked today and the it is barely visible.  But if I rub my finger over it i can still feel a little hard bump.  I can't really feel through my underwear though unless I'm pushing pretty hard.  

A couple more questions...

- I was blowing my nose again yesterday and after a few tissues my nose was a little tender and I noticed a little blister on the bottom of the piece of skin in the center of my nostrils.  I ended up popping that after rubbing it with my fingers and put more cream on it last night.  Could that still be herpes???  If so how long will this last??

- From above:
While I was seeing the gastroenterologists he made a comment that I had "fever blisters" and he said Herpes.  He gave a prescription to help heal them..  Three days before that I had oral and intercourse sex with a girl..  I talked to her and explained what the doc said.  We both did research and she made a comment that she remembers having cold sores growing up I'm sure I have too but not sure if we are talking about cold sores or Herpes.  

Could I have transfered Herpes to her via oral sex?  Could she have HSV 1 as a child and her immune system would stop a genital attack from me?  I am soooo worried that I was an ignorant dumb *** and hurt her somehow..
The best thing to do is for you and your partner to both get tested for herpes via blood tests to see what your status is.

grace
Thank you - I just called the doc - they ran both HSV 1 and 2 tests with my blood work.  The results are in but they wouldn't give them to me over the phone.  That makes me VERY Nervous.  I thought I read somewhere a couple times that doctors gave out the results over the phone, and they were all negative....:((

I will see him tomorrow

K just got my test results.  Can someone please help me out?  The doc told me that I'm positive for Herpes 1 and negative for Herpes 2...  But I don't understand the HSV 1 & 2 IGM = 1.59...  Thank you..

HSV-1 IgG = 4.48
HSV-2 IgG = .20
HSV 1 & 2 IGM = 1.59
the igm should've never been drawn on you in the first place. Totally disregard the results. It's an inappropriate test on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes.

Yes indeed you have hsv1 but not hsv2.  Since most adults have hsv1 that's not too surprising.  Your partner seems to recall a history of cold sores too so it shouldn't be an issue but don't hesitate to get her tested to confirm it as well as see what her hsv2 status is so you don't have to keep worrying.

grace
I am also an STD hypochondriac and have only had sex with one other person.  I've been scrutinizing every inch of my genitals for the past 2 months and the other day I noticed what were probably just hair follicle bumps where the hair had been rubbed out or pulled out.  To be sure, I yanked about 10 other ones around it out to see if they looked the same.  The next day I noticed that in that area there was a reddish bump that was irriated if I rubbed it and I can't tell if I have an ingrown hair on the scrotum (in the exact same place you mentioned but on the right side) or what.

What did the bump your doctor said was an ingrown hair look like specifically?
That was one of many questions I had for the doc.  Because I tested positive for HSV-1 and I had sores on my face I assumed that the bump below was a ingrown hair.  The bump is still there - barely visible but I can still see it.  There is no pain AT ALL when I touch or rub it, and it's more hard than anything else...  
I have a question. 2 weeks ago I was having very painful urination. I went to the hospital to find out whats going on. the told me that i had a UTI and an inflamed prostate. The gave me doxycycline and about three or four days later, the pain stopped. But 2 days ago, I noticed what looked like 3 little red bumps. only, they werent bumps. they were flat. had no fluid in them or anything. That was 2 days ago. now they are going away and i can barely even see them when i look for them. They werent blisters, they didne hurt at all. not to mention, i havent had any of the other symptoms. Does this sound like it could be herpes?