Herpes Community
Do I need to be tested again? Still confused about what result means.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I had a blood test done in '06 and came out positive.
The results are as follows:
HSV, IgM I/II Combination : Positive with a  2.43 Value
HSV I/II IgG: Positive with a 42.6 value

So I know this means I have HSV but do those results also tell me if i have HSV I, HSV II, or both? I never fully understood the results.
Till this week, I've never had any problems down there. Then I noticed something and quickly went to get a culture but even then I may be over reacting. But it's because I'm not sure which strain I have. I know both can result in oral or genital but that HSV I is what usually causes cold sores. I HAVE had cold sores once in a blue moon. And it was that thinking that kept me from panicking since cold sores are a relatively common thing. But even then, since I got these results I do regularly inspect myself and keep up with my normal gyn visits. My gyn told me that in all her check ups she had never seen anything to warrant a culture.    
I just want to know if I should continue to worry about the possibility of genital sores. Or is it something that I'm always going to have to worry about?  
If those results aren't specific then of course, it's something I want to look into. Because if its HSV I, then I can breathe a little easier and just have to take care with oral matters. I actually had a sore in my mouth this week and I was embarrassed to tell my bf but he kept on trying to kiss me so I finally told him and he said that it's fine. But he didn't even know that it's contagious. I felt a little better knowing that he is okay with THAT. But I couldn't imagine telling him that I have something down there..especially since we are trying to have a baby. Now there's so many things running through my mind. What if I gave him something?? He's never said anything but I don't know what to do!
I just hate the whole waiting game when it comes to tests like these. My test results for the culture come back on monday hopefully :(
Sorry for the worried rambling but any help would be greatly appreciated!!
the testing you had done in '06 was of little help. it really didn't tell you anything about your herpes status.  if you have a history of cold sores then you know you have hsv1 orally. At this point you should seek out a hsv2 igg blood test to see what your hsv2 status is.  

your bf will also need tested to know his own status. you two can't  make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what.

grace
I'm going to get blood drawn today hopefully. I see/feel no new symptoms down there but we'll see. It doesn't look any worse or any better.
Once I get those results back then I'll see how to proceed with my bf. I don't want to worry him until I know for sure.
Thank you for your help Grace.
did they also test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally when you were seen? what did they think was going on at your appointment?
She did do a swab for that.
When she checked she did notice what I was worried about but that in her opinion it was probably irritated due to yeast bc she could visibly see that. I've been checking on it since then and it did seem to look less irritated in that spot. I noticed that yeast would often collect in that area of concern so maybe thats why it looked like that. Overall it just looked irritated in there. I went yesterday to see about the blood test but she said it wasn't needed since she already sent the viral cultural off. She said if it was negative then not to worry, if it was positive then we would work on getting me Rxs. She examined me again for my piece of mind and said she saw no new changes and she agreed that it looked less irritated in that area. I thought I had seen bumps at the beginning of all of this but when comparing to the other side, it appears to just be the contour of the skin there.
She prescribed me the 1 pill Diflucan for the yeast. I told her that I had a fever blister in my mouth that was healing when i was explaining everything so she also prescribed a 5 day regimen of valtrex. She said it would help with the blister and IF i had anything down there, it would help with that too. I took both yesterday and there was immediate relief. This morning its looking a lot less irritated in there and almost back to healthy pink with no discharge. I'm hoping it was because of the Diflucan. What do you think?
I feel a lot better now..not panicked anymore but I still am going to another dr to get that blood test though. I think that was a bad call on her part. Even if the viral cultural comes back negative I'd still like to know.
If the culture comes back negative and blood comes back positive HSV2...then im confused as to how to proceed. Especially if I continue to have nothing going on down there. Any thoughts?
Sorry for the long replies, I just don't want to leave anything out. Thank you so much for taking the time to hear me out. Any more input would be great!!
actually it's too late for the valtrex to do much and it should've been the 1 day cold sore dose, not the 5 day dose. if you wait longer than 24-48 hours to start antivirals for cold sores, they really don't do enough to make it worth it to be honest.  also we've found that with oral hsv1, best to hit it early and hit it hard with antivirals, after that point or with lower doses, not enough bang for your buck as I like to say.  

neither diflucan nor valtrex helps within a day. perhaps your anxiety was just lowered in general about it all?
That was most likely the case. But the anxiety won't be gone till I get that darn blood test. Blahhhhh
And I'll keep that in mind for the cold sores. I didn't even know you could take meds for that. But I honestly can never tell when I'm going to get them so I guess I'll just go through the phases.