Herpes Community
Does a pap smear test for Herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Does a pap smear test for Herpes?

I recently went to the doctor about a vaginal infection. She told me it was probably an allergic reaction to a condom, but I had a pap test done. This was my first pap smear- I'm 21 years old. I'm worried that I may have herpes. Would a pap smear indicate the herpes virus? What kind of STDs does a pap smear test indicate?
I really doubt you were tested for hsv. If you went to The Department of Public Health, it's certain you were not tested, unless they took a swab of a lesion. The Department of Public Health is not funded to perform hsv blood tests. Also, even at a regular doctor, I think they probably wouldn't test for hsv unless you requested it. Std screening tests for: chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, hpv in women, and HIV.
Feel free to add anything if I left something out guys!
Do you have reason to believe you have contracted hsv?
I think it may be herpes because of the presence of sores. I've been getting them on and off for about a month now. Sometimes they are only present for less than 24 hours. I'm just waiting to see the doctor about my results, and would like some kind of peace of mind in the meantime.
Something that is there for only 24 hours isn't likely to be due to herpes.  

A pap test only looks for the presence of abnormal cervical cells.  Some of the newer ones will test for a few std's but when it comes to herpes, they aren't worthwhile for that purpose.  You'd have to have an active herpes lesion on your cervix when they did the test for it to be worthwhile.

If you are concerned about herpes or any other std you need to pursue seperate and specific std testing for them. www.ashastd.org has terrific info on all std's and how to test for them for more reading in general on std's and testing.

If you stop using condoms for 2 weeks and the sores continue, return to your provider for additional testing. A reaction to condoms should stop within that time frame.  You and your partner can use female condoms or polyurethane condoms if your provider suspects a latex allergy. Always remember to use extra lube too - and not anything that is "warming" or flavored if you are ruling out an allergic reaction.

grace
I haven't had sex since my symptoms started which was about a month ago, so I've already ruled out any kind of allergic reaction.

I also got my pap results today. They didn't test for Herpes, but for other STDs like chlamydia and gonorrhea- which I tested negative for. I also tested negative for HPV! However there was an indication that I have abnormal cells. I'm going to get a colcoscopy in two weeks, and we'll see what turns up then.

In the meantime, is anyone aware of herpes testing at little to no cost?
See this is what kills me - you test negative for hpv but since you have abnormal cells they bring you back in 2 weeks for a very expensive procedure instead of following the acog recommendations of just repeating your pap in 3 -6 months.  No wonder none of us can afford our health insurance!!!  You already know there was something going on, no reason to go straight to the coloposcopy just for 1 abrnomal pap in an otherwise very low risk situation.  If money is an issue - did they tell you how much this was going to cost you?

I"m not aware of anyone that offers type specific herpes igg blood testing for free.  You can usually get lesion cultures done on active sores but they need to be "fresh" lesions - less than 48 hours old.

grace

No, they didn't say how much it would cost. They gave me an information sheet which said that most insurance will cover some portion- whatever that means! Is it generally an expensive procedure? The frequency of my sore breakouts has decreased, but I wouldn't be surprised if I got them again relatively soon. Does Planned Parenthood offer lesion cultures at a low cost? One more thing, along with sores I've been experiencing a yellow discharge- is that consistent with Herpes, or anything else you guys can think of?
did they also test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally?

Do you have insurance? Don't hesitate to call the clinic and ask to talk to their billing person and find out how much will be covered and what won't be.

it's too late for a lesion culture - this has been going on for too long now for it to be of any benefit :(    At this point both you and your partner getting a type specific herpes igg blood test is the best next course of action to rule out herpes as a cause.

grace
I have a question... I was tested positive for HSV recently and got my two girlfriends to do the test as well. A was tested positive whereas B was tested negative. I had been together with B for the past three years and with A for the past one year. Could A be having another man outside other than me?
A could, but she could have also had it for years and not known it.  90% of those who have herpes don't know they have it, so either is possible.

And do you get to say if A can't be with other men if you are also with B?

Aj