Herpes Expert Forum
Does genital HSV2 give you immunity for HSV1?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Does genital HSV2 give you immunity for HSV1?

I have tested positive for genital HSV2 and negative for HSV1, however I never had any outbreaks.
Does the Genital Herpes (HSV2) give me immunity for oral HSV1 (cold sores)?
Does the Genital Herpes (HSV2) give me immunity for oral HSV2 ?
Does the Genital Herpes (HSV2) give me immunity for Genital HSV1 ?
Tags: HSV immunity
55646_tn?1263664409
Yes, HSV 2 appears to give immunity to HSV 1 in any location
Yes, HSV 2 genitally appear to give immunity to HSV 2 orally.

What was the index value on your HSV 2 antibody test?

Terri
8 Comments
Blank
Thank you for the information Terri.

These are the results from my test on Nov 2010

Test Name
HSVII Ab IGG RES
HSVII IGG Interp

Method EIA

9.95 H POSITIVE    <0.99 NEGATIVE

Also as I am am asymptomatic and never even had a first outbreak, I like to do a swab test to determine if I am shedding from my genital area or somewhere else.
I was told by a doctor that knows you well that I may be able to do that with your clinic by mail as an outpatient as I located in NY.

I am married and my wife has tested negative from HSV1 and HSV2, it will help to find out where I may be shedding from.

Also read your book and it helped alot!.

David67
Blank
55646_tn?1263664409
So the score on your type specific IgG antibody test for HSV 2 is 9.95?  I am I reading that correctly?  If yes, then I would say with great certainty that you are infected with HSV 2.

I would say with a very high degree of certainty that you are shedding from the genital tract.  

If you want to take more about swabbing, you can make a phone appointment with me at my clinic.

Terri
Blank
I was under the understanding that some people can get HSV2 in different part of their bodies as well....mouth... hand... back side, that's why I wanted to get a swab test done to make sure where I may be shedding from since I never had an outbrake...you think this will be a waste of time?
Blank
I have hsv simplex 1/2  I am having  my first out break  but I find it's lasting  very long it's a month and 8 days and the bumps are gone but my tistical still hurt from time to time what causing it
Blank
55646_tn?1263664409
When we take a group of people that HSV 2 positive by antibody and have them swab their genitals for four months using PCR testing, more than 95% of them shed virus from the genitals during that time.  That's why I suggested that your shedding would occur from the genitals.

Terri
Blank
Thank you very much for the info. I will call to make a phone appointment with you at the clinic.
Blank
55646_tn?1263664409
OK

Terri
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
55646_tn?1263664409
Terri Warren, RN, Adult Nurse Pr...Blank
Westover Heights Clinic
Portland, OR
MedHelp Health Answers