Herpes Expert Forum
Does genital HSV2 give you immunity for HSV1?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

I have tested positive for genital HSV2 and negative for HSV1, however I never had any outbreaks.
Does the Genital Herpes (HSV2) give me immunity for oral HSV1 (cold sores)?
Does the Genital Herpes (HSV2) give me immunity for oral HSV2 ?
Does the Genital Herpes (HSV2) give me immunity for Genital HSV1 ?
Tags: HSV immunity
Yes, HSV 2 appears to give immunity to HSV 1 in any location
Yes, HSV 2 genitally appear to give immunity to HSV 2 orally.

What was the index value on your HSV 2 antibody test?

Terri
Thank you for the information Terri.

These are the results from my test on Nov 2010

Test Name
HSVII Ab IGG RES
HSVII IGG Interp

Method EIA

9.95 H POSITIVE    <0.99 NEGATIVE

Also as I am am asymptomatic and never even had a first outbreak, I like to do a swab test to determine if I am shedding from my genital area or somewhere else.
I was told by a doctor that knows you well that I may be able to do that with your clinic by mail as an outpatient as I located in NY.

I am married and my wife has tested negative from HSV1 and HSV2, it will help to find out where I may be shedding from.

Also read your book and it helped alot!.

David67
So the score on your type specific IgG antibody test for HSV 2 is 9.95?  I am I reading that correctly?  If yes, then I would say with great certainty that you are infected with HSV 2.

I would say with a very high degree of certainty that you are shedding from the genital tract.  

If you want to take more about swabbing, you can make a phone appointment with me at my clinic.

Terri
I was under the understanding that some people can get HSV2 in different part of their bodies as well....mouth... hand... back side, that's why I wanted to get a swab test done to make sure where I may be shedding from since I never had an outbrake...you think this will be a waste of time?
I have hsv simplex 1/2  I am having  my first out break  but I find it's lasting  very long it's a month and 8 days and the bumps are gone but my tistical still hurt from time to time what causing it
When we take a group of people that HSV 2 positive by antibody and have them swab their genitals for four months using PCR testing, more than 95% of them shed virus from the genitals during that time.  That's why I suggested that your shedding would occur from the genitals.

Terri
Thank you very much for the info. I will call to make a phone appointment with you at the clinic.
OK

Terri