Herpes Community
Does it really matter which HSV Type?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Does it really matter which HSV Type?

I *think* I've read just about everything there is to know about HSV1 & 2 within the last 24 hours... I say this softly of course. My questions/concerns is/are... If I know I have HSV1 (I've had my share of cold sores since I was a child), and all too very recently have been told by my P.A. that I have genital as well, does it even matter if I get tested for HSV2? I know that both types can be found in both regions, regardless of "favoritism." As far as I'm being told, and have read, the "treatment" is also the same for both. I was given 500mg of Valtrex to take twice a day for 10 days... I'm being told that I don't necessarily have to take Valtrex or the like, daily, just when and IF I should ever have an outbreak again. I was also concerned (honestly I freaked out first), that I contracted it from my husband before I was "educated." Next question... My P.A. said that I cannot jump to the conclusion that he "gave" it to me, especially since I already have HSV1 (Up until now, I too, thought that it was the "good" kind not transmittable to another, nor to another region)... The likelihood of me having never had an outbreak in the lower region (or at least one noticed) could explain everything (him not cheating). So... I know that my husband and I have both have HSV1 (he has always gotten cold sore on his lips since he was a kid too)...  I know I need to talk to him about my having "it" down there now, but does he need to be treated or even tested knowing that we both already have HSV1? I'm really confused as to this "part" of dealing and learning about this, and my P.A. hasn't been all that supportive about my concerns. Actually, now that I read back on my post, I realize that I am still in panic mode and quite lost. How will this effect our intimacy? Does it really matter if we both have it (safe sex wise)? Our relationship and marriage is not new... we've been married almost 8 years, but have been together for almost 10... I also do not want to accuse him of something that I may have been harvesting all my life (as well as he), and because of our normal sex life, may have just been "moved" without knowledge. Do we, or should we begin having "safe sex" because of this? Oh goodness... so much for keeping this simple.
you have had hsv1 orally so you know this is most likely hsv2.  how were you diagnosed as having genital herpes?  you didn't transmit your hsv1 to your genital area and odds are your husband did not transmit his hsv1 oral infection to your genital area either.

does it matter which type you have genitally? yes it does. Your husband will also need tested to know his status too. You can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what.

odds are neither of you have ever been tested for herpes before this.  once you both have your igg blood test results back, you might have a better idea of if this is a newly acquired infection for you or not. Does it showing up now mean that one of you had to have cheated? no it does not. either of you could've come into the relationship with it and since testing isn't routine, you would've never known it until now.

will this change your sex life? Not a lot. If you both have hsv2, it's a non-issue. If you have it and he doesn't, you can control recurrences with daily suppressive therapy, avoid sex during obvious symptoms and keep his risk down to 2%/year even without using condoms.

keep asking questions :)

grace

keep asking questions :)

grace
Thank you Grace for your feedback :)

"you didn't transmit your hsv1 to your genital area and odds are your husband did not transmit his hsv1 oral infection to your genital area either."  - I've read and been told that it is indeed very possible to "relocate" this virus despite it's area of preference... Have you read otherwise? Where? Please don't misunderstand - I'm not challenging you. Just still researching and wanting to learn more.

I was tested for HSV1 when I was little. I kept having lots of recurrent "cold sores" and my pediatrician at the time tested me for it. I think I was in 2nd-3rd grade? I dunno... It was a LONG time ago...lol. I'm not 100% sure if my husband was truly tested for it. His mom is an RN, and once, while he was having an "outbreak," was uhh...well, in her eyes, educating us on it :)

I have not been tested for HSV2. My P.A. said it wasn't absolutely necessary, as both are treated the same. Just to make it clear though, he wasn't "evil" about it, in fact is more than happy to test me for it, but feels it technically doesn't change the outcome or treatment.

Sigh... So much for thinking I was "well informed." Oh well... Like you said, "keep asking questions." And I will! Thank so much :)
once you have hsv1 orally, you have significant protection against contracting hsv1 on other body parts. It's not 100% but it's close.

you both really need testing to make sure herpes is what is going on for you both. assume nothing and visual diagnosis alone isn't accurate

your PA most likely either doesn't fully understand the differences between hsv1 and hsv2 genitally and what it means for treatment  and odds of transmission to a partner or was just trying to be nice and keep this as stress free as possible for you. I believe in medical honesty because I trust that most folks are far too intelligent for anything less!!  

honestly, keep asking questions - it's what we are here for :)  It's all herpes, all the time around here!!