Herpes Community
Equivocal Herpes test

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Equivocal Herpes test

I have to retest in a month. I'm so stressed about this. What precentage of equivocal tests become positive? The doctor told me that I was at 1.4 isn't that positive? She told me that it was inconclusive? If my antibodies are so low doesn't that mean I was effected recently? My nurse told me yes, but she also told me that herpes sores do not go away unless they're treated. From what I read online that is not true.
I don't think that I've ever had an outbreak. I pluck gray hairs, trim and shave, so I've always assumed that anything that I had was ingrown hairs. Never had anything inside of the vaginal lips, but can't it just be in the inside?
1) I've had shingles before would that cause the same type of antibodies?
2) Last year, the guy that I slept with did not have sex with me for 3-4 months. Then he told me that a girl that he slept with contracted herpes and accused him of giving it to her. He tested negative.
3) He doesn't think that I have anything to worry about, but is it possible that I had this last year, was shedding the virus, and he passed it on to her without contracting it himself?
4) If I had it last year, wouldn't my antibodies by higher?
5.) Do I have to wait an entire month to be retested?
When was the last time you had sex prior to your blood test?

Yes 1.4 is positive - was it a hsv2 igg result?  It's still low enough though that it needs confirming. If it' sbeen less than 3 months since you last had sex then wait until it's been that long and repeat the blood test. If it's been at least that long since you last had sex then you need a confirmatory test - I suggest your doctor send off a herpes western blot test.  http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/herpes.htm  has all the info your doctor needs to send off the blood test to confirm your infection.

grace
I'm not sure when I was infected, so I don't know. I had sex during the month of December, does that reset everything? Will you take the time to look at my other questions. Please.
I'm not sure what type of test,but she told me I was equivocal.
Last night I thought about it, 1.4 is more than 1.1, thinking of it as 1.10 threw me off!
She didn't tell me that 1.1 was positive, but after looking online I assumed 1.10 is positive.
I've read that true postives are above 3.0. I've been having sex with the same guy for the last year.
So you're pretty sure I'm positive?
If you've been with the same fellow for the last year then the next step is for him to get himself tested. Has he done that yet?

1.4 is positive but anything under 3.5 that hasn't already been confirmed by a lesion culture needs confirmatory testing.  If your bf is hsv2+ then I wouldn't really question your result. If he's negative then I"d pursue additional testing to err on the side of caution. It's most likely it's a false negative if he's hsv2negative but it's best to get more testing to find out.

Hope that made sense?

grace
Thank you!
He was tested last Spring because a girl that he slept with accused him of giving her herpes after he slept with her. Is there anyway that he could have passed the virus on to her without getting the virus himself? He waited four months and tested negative.
If I was infected last year, wouldn't my antibodies by higher?
How was he tested? Can you get a copy of his herpes test results and post them here for me? I just need the numerical results - ie hsv1 igg 4.5 and hsv2 igg .23 or whatever they were.

grace
Hi Grace,
I called the nurse again today about my results, It was 1.04, not 1.4. I asked him about his test, and he just said it was negative. I asked for the numbers, but he didn't give them to me. I'm not sure if doctors give out that information. I think they just say negative. After hearing about how distraught I was over the weekend, the nurse told me to come in again today to retest.
I had a mild case of shingles 2 years ago. Would that affect my results at all?
I encourage your bf to get retested for herpes just to err on the side of caution. No idea how long before he was tested he was last with that gal but if she had herpes before she met him and didn't know it - he could've contracted it from her and not known it that early on the blood test.  Definitely he should get a copy of his blood test results from last spring so you two can see for yourself what they were.

Shingles doesn't affect the newer type specific herpes igg blood tests.

1.04 is negative.  

grace
Hi Grace!
Thank you sooo much for taking the time to answer my question. 1.04 is negative? Why did she tell me equivocal? Yesterday, after talking to my nurse, she told me to come in and retest. I'm waiting for the results. I'm so nervous. I hope that it clearly says that I'm negative. I hope Im negative. The test from yesterday is specifically for herpes...what does that mean? I was tested for STD's...did they not use a herpes test then? I'm confused.
equivocal is still negative. I wish they'd just get rid of that labeling - it just confuses folks.  If you had sex last in december you should wait 3 months from whenever that was and retest for hsv2.  bookmark this thread so you can find it easily and add your new results when you get them. Us being able to see your whole thread easily just helps us better when we give advice :)

I know it's hard to wait but at this point that's all you can do.

grace
I have to wait 3 months even if I've had sex with the same person the last year?
Yes - you still need to wait. I'd encourage your man to get retested now too.

grace
Thanks for your help! I was given a blood test specifically for Herpes this week. Received my results back today. Negative. Under <,90  compared to 1.04 equivocal when I was tested for all STD's. I haven't had any outbreaks. I think I'm fine. I have definitely learned a lot from this experience, and I wouldn't trade it,  but I'm glad it is over.