Herpes Community
Equivocal Test - Or Yeast Infection?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Equivocal Test - Or Yeast Infection?

For the past year or maybe longer, I've had what I and my previous gynecologist thought are recurring yeast infections that usually occur before my period and stops after it comes. Itching, sensitivity, discharge, etc. were all present. Early in the month I had a similar occurrence before my period, but decided to see a new gynecologist about it and get STD testing at the same time. I only became sexually active in October, and have had these rashes/yeast infections before.

I had unprotected sex w/ my partner two days before getting my swab and blood work done. The swab on a "minute" and singular vesicle turned out negative for herpes, but the blood work came back "highly equivocal". I had the IgG and IgM tests done, and they were at 1.06. My gynecologist said to wait until the symptoms come up again and to take a second test. However, she did suggest prescribing me something for herpes, which I declined.

This is intensely worrying to me and I would like others' opinions on this. I would really like to think that I do not have genital herpes (my mother has oral herpes, and that is a different issue), but I cannot imagine why my blood work would come out as "highly equivocal" otherwise... It seems stupid to wait for another "outbreak" to occur before getting tested, so would a second test without any symptoms (yeast infection or otherwise) be worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
equivocal is negative if enough time has passed.

has your partner sought out type specific herpes igg blood testing yet to know their status?

did your provider test you for yeast too when you were seen?

grace
I haven't talked to my partner about it and don't think I want to until I know for sure that I have herpes. Because of distance I don't think we will be for a while, either. I've had one other partner besides him.

I was tested for yeast but came back negative - As expected, since my yeast infection/herpes symptoms stopped around 2 weeks prior to the test (the symptoms always go away during and after my period).
It's actually going to help you a lot to talk to your partner now and have him get tested. It will help us see if you need any further testing or not.  

have you looked into fem dophilus by jarrow? it's a probiotic that has "good" bacteria in it that is proven to reduce vaginitis and uti's in females. You can buy it online easily - just store it in your fridge. If you get yeast monthly, well worth giving it a try.  
Thank you for the advice, it was helpful! I will try to talk to him about it.