Herpes Community
Exposed to someone with herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Exposed to someone with herpes

Hi all,

I am really freaking out and have an appointment to visit my doctor tomorrow, but any help any of you could lend would be great.

I recently slept with someone that has herpes.  He was nice enough to let me know that he was taking Valtrex and had no visible symptoms when we had slept togther on the 10th and the 14th.  I had protected sex with him on the 10th but not the 14th which was stupid on my part.  I recently got a pap on the 14th and it has since come back negative.  I did however experience some spotting, the bleeding coming from the actual site the pap was taken and itchiness combined with a bit of burning.  I did not see any sores or experience any flu-like symptoms.

Can someone help me out here?  Should I be concerned?  I am going tomorrow to get blood work done.

Thanks!
I don't know how long its been since you were with this person, (do you mean the 10th and 14th of this month?) but it can take up to 4 months to develop antibodies, and therefore test positive on a blood test.

While you are at the docs, I would make sure you were tested for other stds as well.  Even if you were, though, you still had unprotected sex after your pap, and you might have chlamydia.

Its still a good idea to have a herpes test done so you know your status, but if you test positive it wouldn't mean you were infected from this person.  It would most likely be a pre-existing infection.

AJ
Hi AJ,

Thanks for responding to me.  I was with this person on the 10th & 14th of this month.  I just got back from the Doctor and she swabbed a small tear which could have been caused from rough sex that we had on the 14th OR from all of the inspecting I have done of the vaginal area.

She did swab my vaginal discharge and there were white blood cells present.  She also tested my urine and found anti-bodies but said this could be a symptom of a bladder infection which I do get frequently if and when I am having sex.

I was recently tested about three months ago and tested negative for everything.  This guy was my first sex partner in over a year (October 2006), so I doubt it could have been prexisting condition.

She did tell me that the white blood cells could be an indicator that I have the herpes virus.  Could anyone help out here with what they have expereinced?  I have been crying all morning.

Thanks,

Sarah
My Doctor also perscribed me Valtrex as a procautionary measure, which I have started to take, as well as antibodics in case it is a bladder infection.
As of right now my status remains negative for both, but I also have a tear type thing..it doesnt burn or itch and tomorrow im going to get it looked at.
I do a lot of self vaginal examanation, which I heard can cause irrtation if you don't know what you're doing..

Pretty much what I can grasp is that a PCR swab 24-48 hours after apperince or a blood test IgG type specific after 3-4 months are the best way to test.

Urine and secretion tests, my doctor has told me, to not worry about
Thanks very much!