Herpes Community
Exposure to HSV2, should I still test for both?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

My partner recently tested positive for HSV 2, not sure about whether or not he was tested for both, but he has told me before that he's had cold sores since he was young.

My question is, should I bother testing for HSV 1, or is that kind of a non issue at this point?

Additionally, is there any way of indicating who gave it to who if I end up testing positive?  I had not tested for herpes, because the clinician advised against it if I did not have visible symptoms. I kind of wish I had now.

Thank you all for your help.
bump?
indeed you should seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing to know your full status. assume nothing.

I will gladly help with your partners test results if you can get them to post here - e.g. hsv1 igg 4.3 and hsv2 igg 5.6 or whatever they are. that way we can be sure that he was properly tested and see if he needs any additional confirmatory testing done.

grace
Thank you Grace. I just got my results back, which are negative. I am a little concerned about the possibility of a false negative however, since I've had unprotected sex many times with my partner who is positive. Should I look to retake the test sometime in a few months?

HSV 2 IGG HERPESELECT AB  

In range: 0.36  Reference Range 0.00-0.89 INDEX

That's what it says on my results sheet.
I wouldn't bother repeating your testing other than yearly. Should you develop any obvious genital symptoms, be seen promptly for a lesion culture, typing and treatment.

are you two taking precautions?  Is your partner on daily suppressive therapy? Is he getting test results for you to post?
I'm not sure if he has the hard copy of the results, I'll try and get them from him.  He hasn't started suppressive therapy as of yet...

We both don't like using condoms, which I understand is risky. Though we also have abstained from any activity when he has visible lesions.

But as this is a very new diagnosis for him, we haven't really gotten to discuss how this will impact us.
Update:

I'm EXTREMELY annoyed by my bf's doctor. Apparently, what my bf had done was a non specific hsv test. Which indicated that he had herpes, but not which one. THEN he also had IgM testing done, which I heard was terribly inaccurate.  The doctor concluded that he has GHSV1...how?

I'm confused. He should probably get tested again right?  This just seems wrong.  I'm demanding a hard copy of the test from my bf.
correct, he'll need to seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test.

did he have symptoms?
He claims that he's had cold sores before, but he also keeps saying canker sores, so I wonder if he's confused about that.

He had a few small sores on his genitals, single ones. It didn't look like the usual clusters of blisters, but I know that every case is different.

The doctor made the pronouncement of ghsv1 through "process of elimination" and description of the symptoms/physical examination of the sores.
you should ask his doctor if they gave him a crystal ball in med school ;)

get him tested properly and go from there.   should he get a return of genital symptoms, he should be seen promptly and if his provider feels that they could be herpes related, they should do a lesion culture and typing on them.