Extremely nervous about possible Genital Herpes infection
First of all I would like to thanks Grace and others for invaluable information..I haven't read everything yet but reading some of the posts here gives me a glimmer of hope. The past week has been absolute nerve-wracking for me..
Details -
I'm a male in mid 30s - was on a cruise trip late November '12 and ended up having unprotected sex with someone I met (think 12/26/12), she also performed oral sex on me. After a couple of days at the end of the trip, I woke up with an itchy throat and felt fatigued. After a week, I went to the doc and he gave me a steroid shot and put me on antibiotics for Z-Pak. This was all in beginning of December. In Mid Jan, I felt some itching in the genitals area and a slight burning sensation where the thigh meets the leg. I read it could be "jock itch" so applied Lotrimin. I was scheduled for Annual physical exam so asked the family doctor about whether I had a STD infection. He looked at it and shrugged it off saying Herpes causes painful blisters and sores. He decided to go ahead with the bloodwork for STDs anyways - this was my first time ever doing it. The next day he called me and to my horror said "Looks like you have a Genital Herpes Infection" as my HSV 2 IgG reading was 2.86 H. (This is approximately after 2 months of the sexual contact).
I went to the doc's office and he started showing me pictures on yahoo.images what a Herpes infection looked like. On my questioning that I had no blisters or sores and the pictures he was showing I exhibited nothing remotely close and if he was very sure, he replied affirmative and said some people don't show it but bloodwork is the decisive factor. My doc is a fairly younger Asian male in early 40s so I got a feeling that maybe he doesn't know enough but then I was so tensed and depressed. He gave me a prescription of Valtrex which I have yet to take as I read some posts on this forum that it skews the results.

- I read that it's more likely for a herpes infected man to pass it to a woman than the other way around. Is it possible that this one isolated incident could have passed the HSV 2 to me?
- Is 2 months too less of a time to make the correct determination for the contracted infection? Should I wait another 2 months and get a Western Blot done?
- Is there anything else I can do at this point to find whether I'm infected or not? I do have the contact information of the woman I had sex with but haven't contacted her as yet.

Thanks so much..
Raj

correct - wait until 4 months post encounter and confirm your status with a herpes wb blood test and go from there. I couldn't take any valtrex at this point either.

grace