Aa
A
A
Close
Extremely nervous about possible Genital Herpes infection
First of all I would like to thanks Grace and others for invaluable information..I haven't read everything yet but reading some of the posts here gives me a glimmer of hope. The past week has been absolute nerve-wracking for me..
Details -
I'm a male in mid 30s - was on a cruise trip late November '12 and ended up having unprotected sex with someone I met (think 12/26/12), she also performed oral sex on me. After a couple of days at the end of the trip, I woke up with an itchy throat and felt fatigued. After a week, I went to the doc and he gave me a steroid shot and put me on antibiotics for Z-Pak. This was all in beginning of December. In Mid Jan, I felt some itching in the genitals area and a slight burning sensation where the thigh meets the leg. I read it could be "jock itch" so applied Lotrimin. I was scheduled for Annual physical exam so asked the family doctor about whether I had a STD infection. He looked at it and shrugged it off saying Herpes causes painful blisters and sores. He decided to go ahead with the bloodwork for STDs anyways - this was my first time ever doing it. The next day he called me and to my horror said "Looks like you have a Genital Herpes Infection" as my HSV 2 IgG reading was 2.86 H. (This is approximately after 2 months of the sexual contact).
I went to the doc's office and he started showing me pictures on yahoo.images what a Herpes infection looked like. On my questioning that I had no blisters or sores and the pictures he was showing I exhibited nothing remotely close and if he was very sure, he replied affirmative and said some people don't show it but bloodwork is the decisive factor. My doc is a fairly younger Asian male in early 40s so I got a feeling that maybe he doesn't know enough but then I was so tensed and depressed. He gave me a prescription of Valtrex which I have yet to take as I read some posts on this forum that it skews the results.

- I read that it's more likely for a herpes infected man to pass it to a woman than the other way around. Is it possible that this one isolated incident could have passed the HSV 2 to me?
- Is 2 months too less of a time to make the correct determination for the contracted infection? Should I wait another 2 months and get a Western Blot done?
- Is there anything else I can do at this point to find whether I'm infected or not? I do have the contact information of the woman I had sex with but haven't contacted her as yet.

Thanks so much..
Raj

Cancel
1 Answers
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
101028 tn?1419606604
correct - wait until 4 months post encounter and confirm your status with a herpes wb blood test and go from there. I couldn't take any valtrex at this point either.

grace
Comment
Cancel
101028 tn?1419606604
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank