Herpes Community
False Negative Probability?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

False Negative Probability?

Does anyone out there know of the likelihood of a false negative test result for HSV2 using the Focus Herpeselect ELISA IgG antibody test? I scored a 0.16 IgG PPV index.

Reason? While investigating another issue, my wife tested positive for HSV2 (2.21 IgG PPV index score). We've been married 25 years and the ONLY other sexual contact than me was when she was molested (raped?) when she was 12 years old.. And I am bipolar with a history of hypersexual behavior with risky partners.

With my history for risky sexual contact, I can't believe I'm HSV2 negative!  (I don't know my HSV1 status).

Can I give her HSV2 by having HSV1?

And if she is HSV2 positive...why hasn't she given it to me?

No history of any symptoms...completely asymptomatic.

Confused.

Commercial testing for HSV2 antibodies detects 98% or more of infections.

I'm not sure what PPV is??

Your wife's reading is not to be taken as confirmation of an infection, about 30-50% of readings at that level (barring recent infection which seems to be the case here) are false positives. A Westernblot test is recommended for her to confirm whether she really is infected.

Current research suggests that some people actually build immunity to HSV2 in their skin layers if they are exposed to it on an ongoing basis. Transmission rates from female to male are about 5% per annum so it is feasible by sheer chance not to have been infected. Having HSV1 may provide some protection from being infected with HSV2.

HSV1 and HSV2 are distinct virus, no morphing between the types occurs.