Herpes Community
False Negative on an IGG after a year?! Is it possible?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

In January of 2011 I had my first cold sore outbreak...2 coldsores came out. Looked to me just like a coldsore. I went online and compared to many pictures of cold sores. I even used abreva and it helped stop them. One fully developed and I accidently pulled off the scab too early and it left a scar.

I think a month later I had another outbreak. Identified this by the tingly feeling...but abreva helped stop them. I got them early. I´m now wondering if on one of these occasions it was in my head.

I think I had at least a couple more outbreaks but they didn´t come out much because I got the abreva on them. I just got the tingly sensation.

It´s now a year later January 2012 and I went to get the Herpes 1 and 2 IGG blood Test

My results were Negative.
Herpes Select 1 IGG 0.29
Herpes Select 2 IGG 0.21

The Herpes IGM was 0.75
Also a negative, although I read this test is unreliable.

What does this mean? I swear I had cold sores on my outer lips. Could this test be a false negative? It´s been a year since my first outbreak ever? Should I get tested again?
Tags: Herpes, false negative igg, false negative, Herpes IGG testst, chiggers test, Coldsores, coldsore, igg reliability, outbreak
even the best blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. best thing to do is next time you feel like you are getting a cold sore, don't apply anything and be seen within 48 hours for a lesion culture of your oral symptoms.

grace
Grace,

Thank you for your response. Sounds like a good idea. Where did you see that statistic? I also read that Herpeselect tests are correct 97% of the time. Which is a big difference from that 90%. I guess either way it could be wrong. The thing is I haven´t had an outbreak in many months and I´d like to find out now so I can report to my partner my status and find out if it´s likely that I infected her. That´s suspicious that I made out with her and 14 days later she breaks out for the first time. What do you think?
I think I may just opt to test again in another lab.
the stat you are quoting is for hsv2, not hsv1.

if your partner was never tested for herpes before, hard to tell if it truly was a newly acquired infection for her or not.
Good point. I guess I shouldn´t worry too much about it until she´s been tested. Thanks again!