Herpes Community
False Negative on an IGG after a year?! Is it possible?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

False Negative on an IGG after a year?! Is it possible?

In January of 2011 I had my first cold sore outbreak...2 coldsores came out. Looked to me just like a coldsore. I went online and compared to many pictures of cold sores. I even used abreva and it helped stop them. One fully developed and I accidently pulled off the scab too early and it left a scar.

I think a month later I had another outbreak. Identified this by the tingly feeling...but abreva helped stop them. I got them early. I´m now wondering if on one of these occasions it was in my head.

I think I had at least a couple more outbreaks but they didn´t come out much because I got the abreva on them. I just got the tingly sensation.

It´s now a year later January 2012 and I went to get the Herpes 1 and 2 IGG blood Test

My results were Negative.
Herpes Select 1 IGG 0.29
Herpes Select 2 IGG 0.21

The Herpes IGM was 0.75
Also a negative, although I read this test is unreliable.

What does this mean? I swear I had cold sores on my outer lips. Could this test be a false negative? It´s been a year since my first outbreak ever? Should I get tested again?
Tags: Herpes, false negative igg, false negative, Herpes IGG testst, chiggers test, Coldsores, coldsore, igg reliability, outbreak
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
even the best blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. best thing to do is next time you feel like you are getting a cold sore, don't apply anything and be seen within 48 hours for a lesion culture of your oral symptoms.

grace
Blank
Grace,

Thank you for your response. Sounds like a good idea. Where did you see that statistic? I also read that Herpeselect tests are correct 97% of the time. Which is a big difference from that 90%. I guess either way it could be wrong. The thing is I haven´t had an outbreak in many months and I´d like to find out now so I can report to my partner my status and find out if it´s likely that I infected her. That´s suspicious that I made out with her and 14 days later she breaks out for the first time. What do you think?
I think I may just opt to test again in another lab.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
the stat you are quoting is for hsv2, not hsv1.

if your partner was never tested for herpes before, hard to tell if it truly was a newly acquired infection for her or not.
Blank
Good point. I guess I shouldn´t worry too much about it until she´s been tested. Thanks again!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...