Herpes Community
False Positive HSV2?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

False Positive HSV2?

Okay. I am going to try to be as detailed as possible. Please help me out if you have any information.

About a month and a half or so ago, I had symptoms of a UTI. frequent urination, burning during/after urination, etc. I went to the doctor and tested POSITIVE for a UTI due to e-coli in my urine. I took the medication that they gave me for about a week and the symptoms seemed to have gone away. After about 2 or 3 days, the exact same symptoms came back, but even stronger. I went back and tested NEGATIVE for a UTI although the over the counter UTI test I took came back positive... My doctor saw in my file that I had mentioned to my gyno about a year ago that the inside of my vagina burns after sex. Now keep in mind that the burning after sex only started after I used the NuvaRIng for birth control.. I feel like that might have done something to me because I was with my partner long before I used the nuvaring and everything was fine. I have been with the same guy for almost 4 years now, I am sure that we have both been faithful. We both have had previous partners in the past. After my doctor read about the burning after sex, she told me it sounds like I have herpes... I told her that that couldn't be possible, that I have never had any outbreaks or anything like that, nor has my partner.. she told me that that didn't matter. I got a blood test, and I tested positive for HSV2 (genital herpes) with 1.7 igG (very low!). She told me to take my medicine for a week to relieve symptoms. She prescribed me Valacyclovir Hcl 500 MG. I took the medication for a week and I still continue to have the symptoms of a UTI.. burning after urination, a feeling of always having to go, and when I do go, its very little.. I just feel like the medication would have worked if I did have HSV2.. I do not think that HSV2 would feel like a bladder infection. I have another appointment on Tuesday to take a second blood test. I do not want to get my hopes up that it is a false positive, but that is what I hope is the case. What are the chances that it WAS a false positive? Wouldn't the medication have started to work if that is what I have? What would cause a false positive? What other illnesses could I have other than HSV2? Any insight that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have been depressed and miserable ever since I have been diagnosed. If I do have HSV2, I at least want to relieve my symptoms. I have felt like I have had a bladder infection on and off for about a month or two and I've been miserable.

I would appreciate ANY help or advice. Thanks so much.
I removed your other post since it was the same. please read our read before posting post on the forum. thanks!

Your hsv2 igg of 1.7 is a low positive and needs confirmed with further testing to see if it's a true positive or not. we recommend a herpes WB for this.

has your partner been tested for herpes?

herpes would not only cause symptoms after sex.  

grace
what is a herpes wb?
no he has never been tested.
but does herpes feel like a bladder infection? cuz that is what it feels like I have.
can someone please help me out
you need to confirm your status to see if you even have herpes or not. that is what seeking out a herpes western blot ( WB ) blost test is for.  if you are in the US, how to obtain this test is explained in our read before posting post on the forum.