Herpes Community
False Positive?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

False Positive?

I am 33 weeks pregnant and my OB routinely screens for STDs. On Friday I was told I have been exposed to HSV 2 and have had it in the past. I do not know the name of the test that was used but know my "score" was 1.52. My Husband and I are eachother's only partners (ever) and have been married 5 years. During that 5 years neither of us have had any symptoms that would lead us to think either of us have HSV. I am going back tomorrow to have blood redrawn to retest me, but I am freaking out. We both kissed (not oral sex, but on the mouth) other people before we got married but other than that we have no idea how this test could come back positive. Anyone with a similar story? What are the chances that I actually have it? And what do I expect if I do?
Thanks!
bump
odds are this is a false positive unless your spouse is lying about other partners. unfortunately since this is your 3rd trimester, you are really limited in your options for confirming a low positive. The last trimester results in a natural hemodilution of your blood test makes accurately testing for herpes via blood tests difficult.  

at this point, ask more questions about your herpes blood test. make sure it was a hsv2 igg of 1.52 and not a combined igg or igm testing. also hubby should seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing too just to see what his status is.  

grace