Fever swollen lymph glands and sore on lip
I got a sore on my lip 7 days ago

3 days ago i had a fever that wouldnt go down also i had a sore throat and muscle pain and swollen lymph nodes

today i was prescribed  acyclovir after my first dose my fever vanished and my sore seems to be drying up

does this mean i had herpes and are my symptoms typical? or can this be something more serious like HIV
This sounds like an initial orolabial Herpes virus outbreak.  Meaning, this is your first time encountering the virus, so your body exhibited a full-body immune response, thus the swollen lymph nodes, fever, and muscle pain.  

I'm not sure if this is typical for a cold-sore outbreak, but I'm sure grace, the moderator of this forum, will know.

cold sores are hsv1 orally the vast majority of the time.  Treating it 7 days after it appeared with acyclovir was actually a waste of money - it was already almost all healed.  If your provider didn't give you refills on your acyclovir for future cold sores, give the clinic a call and ask for a prescription to have on hand. in the future, anytime you feel a cold sore about to start, that's the time to start the cold sore doses of acyclovir. 800mg 3x/day for 2 days is the easiest way to treat cold sores with acyclovir.  If you don't have insurance, you can still take advantage of the walmart and type stores $4 prescriptions for acyclovir. just get it for the 200mg dose and take 4 pills at a time.

for more info on hsv1 orally, see the herpes info at www.ashastd.org. there is a section specifically about oral herpes there.

grace