Herpes Expert Forum
Finding out my true results

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Finding out my true results

Hi Terri

I had posted about a year ago in regards to figuring out my result status with hsv2. It has been a while, but I still need and want to figure out my true results. Western Blot came out intermediate.
  You had mentioned before that I can become a phone client of yours, and you could maybe try and get more details from the lab...am I still able to do this? It would be so helpful.

Here is the link to my original post with my info
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Need-some-advice/show/1592507#post_8343819

I plan on getting a second western blot done.

Thanks so much for your help Terri, you truly help so many people.
Yes, you can become a phone patient and once you get a western blot a second time, we can ask the lab to compare the two blots.  I'll need the dates of the previous test - an exact copy of your test results would be very helpful, too.  Perhaps you can get that and fax it to my office.  

I think I have some availability Thursday for a phone consult.

Terri
Thanks Terri

How soon would you like me to fax over my first Western Blot results? Also is 503-226-6678 still the number to call to set up a phone consult, can I do that today to schedule for Thursday?
Also, is everything kept confidential at your office? I know that is a dumb question, but I get so worried sending out my info!

Everything is totally confidential, of course.  
You should make an appointment before you send a fax of your results, and then when you do, be sure to attach a note that you have an appointment coming up, so they can be sure to attach everything together.

I don't know about Thursday now, could be filled, you will just have to call, OK?

Terri
Hi Terri,

I just want to give you a big thanks in regards to our phone appointment. I admire your knowledge and I am so thankful that I had the chance to talk to you despite being so upset. Obviously I can't say my name on here..but I do have a question..

We agreed to order a second Western Blot. I drew my blood today and quest is sending everything out tomorrow.  However, I just realized that the specimen might have not been labeled "convalescent" ... I know that needs to be on there so that the two specimens can be tested together.

I was not sure if I should bring this to your attention. I am assuming my best bet is to call the university, give them my name and let them know.

I just wanted to touch base with you about this.

Thanks so much for everything Terri.
Let's see how it turns out.  I can always contact UW and have them compare the two tests based on the two dates of service and birth dates.  Not an issue at all.

I'm glad the conversation was helpful for you.  And I know exactly who you are.

Terri
Hi Terri,

I just want to say THANK YOU for all of your help. Your voicemail and time meant more then you know!

This has sparked my interest big time, and I now would love to participate in studies to help researchers learn more about herpes and possible cures, and why low positives happen etc.

I guess like you said I have done everything I could do.  With results taken almost a year apart at..
1.15   1.2   1.16
a Western Blot at  intermediate last summer
and now a recent negative western blot .. like you said I should put this behind me for good. Still  in shock after accepting this 2 1/2 years and this may take time to really believe...!

I assume I may always test in that low positive range with herpeselect- who knows why...but I plan on explaining and showing my doctor my negative results and my continuous low positive ranges and letting him know a lot of the info you told me. It pays to do your own research that is for sure.

Thank you for everything! for the time you spend on here and with patients..if only there were more educated people like you that take the time to listen and teach!

PS: I will be sending in that authorized release form this week to get a copy of my western blot results  - thanks again Terri :)

You are most welcome.  Good for you for pursuing the best testing you could find for herpes antibody.

Terri