Herpes Expert Forum
Five Years Now and So Confused

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Five Years Now and So Confused

Divorced in 2006.  First sexual partner in March 2008 unprotected.  Unprotected sex with a different partner in mid April of same year.  Within weeks (maybe 2 - 3), starting feeling like I had a yeast or urinary tract infection so did the normal Monistat and seemed fine.  Given oral sex later and partner experienced a burning sensation in mouth.He went to the doctor and was treated for oral yeast (candida) and symptoms went away within weeks. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a yeast infection and treated with Diflucan.  Symptoms went away and all was okay.  Decided then to have the full STD screening (within 8 weeks timeframe) just to make sure that I was ok.  Negative results except HSV-1 (.90) and HSV-2 (1.17).  Started to read everything that I could find because I showed no visible signs.  Talked to my GYN and she told me that it could very possibly be a false negative.  I retested about 8 weeks later and result for HSV-2 (1.10).  Told that with those low numbers and needn't retest.  Worried myself sick about it and later in summer (August 2008) had a bout with Shingles.  July 2009, had what seemed like an outbreak on my buttocks (itchy areas and then fissures or broken patches of skin after alot of scratching).  Never really painful just itchy.  Went away within 2 weeks.  Did not have those swabbed for whatever reason. Just probably scared.  No symptoms since then at all.  November 2012, had a painful ulcer on my buttocks.  Never saw a blister.  Had the ulcer checked by GYN but too late to swab.   January 2013, noticed an ulcer near my vulva (around time of period) and had it swabbed immediately.  Results negative.    Five days ago, during my period, ulcer returned.  Will have it swabbed on Monday but afraid may be too late.  Should I do the blood test again or request the Western Blot?  Been 5 years now and I am in a relationship and don't want to (if haven't already) pass this virus if I truly have it.  Please help!  Deperate and confused!!
Tags: Confused for Years
Yes, you need a western blot to clarify, no question about it.  You've been running around for a very long time, it seems to me, with questionable symptoms and questionable antibody results.  Some times people don't do testing (like you not getting your lesion swab tested) because they are afraid of what they will find out.  I get that.  But in the big picture, I think it is worse not to know.  You are always up in the air, you can't know what to tell other partners or whether to take medication to help yourself.  

You can only acquire the western blot by sending to UW for a test kit or ordering it through our clinic.  This may change in the future but for now, those are your two options.  

Please do this.  Remember that what is, already is.  You are just finding out about it so you can be more proactive about your own health.

terri
Terri -

Your comment "Please do this.  Remember that what is, already is.  You are just finding out about it so you can be more proactive about your own health. "  Are you saying that I am a good candidate for the Western Blot at this time since it is very questionable or are you saying that based on your professional experience, this seems like a positive and now is time to be proactive about a treatment? If I go through your clinic, what is the procedure?  Also, if I go through my gyno, should we contact UW directly?  What addtional information can you give me?  Thanks again for your help.    
Had culture and blood test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 specific done on Monday, 2/25/13.  Results are in today 2/28/13 and they are as follows:

Culture - Negative
HSV 1 and 2-Specific Ab, IgG
HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec <0.91 0.00-0.90 index
Negative 1.09
.
Note: Negative indicates no antibodies detected to
HSV-1. Equivocal may suggest early infection. If
clinically appropriate, retest at later date. Positive
indicates antibodies detected to HSV-1; coinfection
with HSV-2 cannot be excluded without type specific
testing.

HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec <0.91 0.00-0.90 index BN
Negative 1.09
testing.

Terri -
Think I still need the Western Blot given these recent results?  Keep in mind I had not had the blood testing done since 2008. If I believe the most recent results, those early numbers were false positives.  What do you advise here?  My Gyn thinks I need to let it go now since I have had 2 negative cultures recently as well as negative IGG specific results.  
I agree that you would be safe to let it go, given these latest antibody numbers.  If you can't let it go, you can always opt to get the western blot later.

Terri