Herpes Community
Folliculitis or something else?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Folliculitis or something else?

A little bit more than a month ago, I had pelvic tenderness and some low fever, went to the hospital, they did some tests, blood and urine, a ct scan, blood culture and a pelvic exam, everything came back negative, no stds, no infections. Before I went to the hospital, there was a small bump in my pubic area and it had a hair in the middle, I took the hair out and the bump became open, but then it started to kind of heal I didn't think anything of it, I went on a small trip, while on vacation I noticed that there were more bumps, in 3 days I had like 4 or 5 small bumps and that area (where my public hair is) was swollen it didn't really hurt was uncomfortable, the way skin feels when is swollen, it was very itchy and red like irritated, the bumps became white, like they had pus inside. I drove myself thinking it was something bad.
I went to see my nurse practitioner and she said it was folliculitis (I shave my pubic area regularly) and prescribed some antibiotics, I was worry it was something else. The problem is that when I bought the antibiotics, I read that they were not good for people allergic to penicillin (which I am) so the pharmacy call the nurse and I was prescribed something else, I took the antibiotics and the infection kind of went away, the pus came out and they had a scab,I don't know if that's the right word, like when the skin covers itself after you fell, one of the scabs fell of and i looked like a sore but the bumps healed, the skin remained a little pinkish, the swelling was also gone.But now I am worried because It seems like the infection wants to come back, I have the feeling that the antibiotics didn't work completely or worst , that I wasn't folliculitis but something else (also I haven't shave since the infection appeared).
I would appreciate if somebody that has experienced something like this could comment and somebody with knowledge on folliculitis, I wanna know if it can be mistaken, a wrong diagnosis. I talked to my doctor about it and he said to follow up with the nurse at the ob gyn office.
Please any thoughts!!!
definitely be seen again if you are still having issues. also toss your razor you use in case it's contaminated and don't shave your pubic hair at this point.

does this sound like herpes? no it does not. if you are concerned, seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test 3 months after you last had sex.

grace