Herpes Expert Forum
Follow-up (Confusing HSV results)

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Follow-up (Confusing HSV results)

This question is a follow-up question for a previous one that was posted around a month ago.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Possibilities-of-having-Herpes/show/1641634#post_7470520
I was worried at that time about Herpes. I didn’t develop any symptoms other than what I have mentioned in my previous post.
Now I’m extremely confused and terrified about my results. I get tested after 46 days of my sexual contact (which was low risk – protected oral sex). I got the below results:
HSV-1 (IgG) = 59 (POSITIVE)
HSV-1 (IgM) = 2.5 (NEGATIVE)
HSV-2 (IgG) = 12 (POSITIVE)
HSV-2 (IgM) = 1.0 (NEGATIVE)
The lab doctor tells me to don’t worry about it and I don’t have Herpes since they concentrate on IgM results. But having high IgG for HSV-1 and positive IgG for HSV-2 is making me worried and confused.
I need a help on understanding what above results means. What are the possibilities that I have Herpes and what those positive IgG means?
Are the tests after 46 days of the sexual exposure are reliable enough?
Please help

Note: I got also tested for HIV, VDRL and Hep-C and become all NEGATIVE.

Thanks,  
Well, from this result, it looks like you are definitely positive for HSV 1, which almost 60% of the population has, and you HSV 2 is very slightly positive.  Often, at this very low value, it is a false positive.  Have you ever been tested for herpes in the past?  What were those results?  

You need a confirmatory test now, and I suggest the western blot.  Where did you get your first testing done?  If your provider can order through Quest labs, the code for western blot is 34534.  If you can't get this ordered, you can become a patient of our clinic and we can order it for you.  But you definitely need a confirmatory test, and you should wait a bit longer to do it, say another month.

Terri
Sorry, forget to include the results references in my post:

11.0 Positive

11.0 Positive

Please discard the above two replies, Below is the results references:

9.0 and less NEGATIVE
9.0-11 Equivocal
11.0 and more POSITIVE

Thanks,

No. This was the first Herpes test in my entire life and it was done in one of the biggest labs in my city (Dubai - UAE).

I will ask the lab about the availability of the western blot. However, considering my low positive results, I will go over another test after one month to determine if this result is false positive or not.

Another question, I have no symptoms at all. Only the one mentioned in the previous post and it disappeared within few days. No major or noticeable outbreaks.

Is it possible to have a first major outbreak after 46+ days from the initial exposure?  

Thanks,
Some people do not have a significant first episode outbreak, but they do have an outbreak at some point later, hard to know if that might be you or not.  I'm sorry not to be more familiar with the test in Dubai.

Terri