Herpes Community
For what its Worth

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

For what its Worth

Hello everyone,
Im trying to see to see what i should do? I had a test done back in July results were:

IGM A/B Screen 1.83
HSV1 IGG .07
HSV2 IGG .12

Retested exactly 2 weeks later results IGG negative no numerical value just was told neg. (which i know is not a very good time frame but that was what the confirmation test required, well what was advised) I haven't had any symptoms or haven't had any noticeable symptoms, or symptoms lasting or looking like Herpes. Ive been told to accept my neg results but once you hear positive you know that sticks in the back of your head, and im sure anybody that has or is going through this would understand. it just when you hear positive your heart drops. I know HSV1 is common and asking around Ive learned alot of people do get cold-sores so that's not a biggie, but i still dont wanna know that i have it. Is there a way i can just get a HSV2 IGG test and not the HSV1 included. Im more worried about 2 than 1. or should i even worry about it because i have not had any symptoms???? I kinda feel stupid for even asking for the HSV test because i was just getting a regular checkup and the doctor said i didn't need it, but i insisted to have it. that what i get for trying to be aware and health conscious. =( *and i know IGM is about 95% Worthless* =)
You're correct; IgM is worthless.

How long after exposure did you take the IgG test?
if you are going to retest at any point, get tested for hsv1 too. knowing your hsv1 status is important so you and partners can  make educated decisions about what precautions to take for sex and oral sex.

as still worried already asked - how long prior to getting tested in july had you last had sex?

grace
well to be honest i been having sex with my partner for about 4 years, were not together so take that into account. but out of the 4 years we have been messing around and everything has been fine. But June 29th to be exact was the date "I" had sex with someone else one time (i know thats all it takes) got tested like that 2weeks and then thats when IGM came up + at 1.83. The doctor really didnt tell me anything just that i had been "exposed" and he said i dont know when or how but it shows you have it. reading these post i dont understand why he would say that, especially if its and IGM and he. knowing that would be a "recent infection" but like i said ive read the IGM is also worthless. I just wonder should i feel safe with my IGG results which i do. I just wanted to get others opinions, because two more doctors told me i was fine. Another question, why should it concern for HSV1 when just about 50-80% of the population have it. Wouldn't it cause unnecessary stress to know the status of HSV1 when its so "out there" and "sometimes" it not considered as a STD
if you don't have hsv1 and your partner does, you want to discuss utilizing barrier protection for oral sex so that you lower your risk of contracting hsv1 genitally.  If you are under 30, only 30% of folks on average  have hsv1 in the US so you really can't assume it's something everyone has. You are negative for hsv1 at this point so you should  be discussing hsv1 and hsv2 with partners to know their status to protect yourself.  same with if you would test + for hsv1 at some point and your partner isn't, it would be important to discuss that with them too. make sense?

Oh ok Grace thanks for the help. All this is confusing to me, i wish they would just do away with the IGM for adults (well except for babies sense it makes more sense for them to use it), it causes so much confusion and stress. I understand the concern to know. Its just weird how HSV1 is spread so commonly and a lot of people just don't know or understand what it is or much about it, BUT at the same time it is so common. But thank you again, you have put my mind somewhat at ease lol. I really haven't had any symptoms or ones lasting more than a day or a couple hours. This site is so helpful and you do alot for us.

Thanks =)