Herpes Community
Frequent ob's

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Frequent ob's

I was diagnosed almost 6 mos ago with HSV 1 genitally.  After the initial OB, it was about 2 months until the next.  It's been almost constant OB's since.  I started by treating each episode thinking they would be infrequent but switched to 1000mg daily of valtrex for suppressive therapy for about 2 months now and am still having OB's.  I'm starting to lose hope and feel like I'm going to be plagued without OB's forever! I don't know what to do or try next. Any advice would be very appreciated.
how were you originally diagnosed as having hsv1 genitally?

have you been back since your original diagnosis for any work ups?

odds really arethis isn't all a herpes issue.

grace
Hi grace,
Thanks for your reply. The dr swabbed it and then a blood test.  Is there other testing about levels of antibodies?  I don't understand why my body is having such a hard time dealing with the virus? My initial ob was pretty intense and manifested itself within 24 hours of the sexual encounter. I have been to the dr. several times going from treating episodes to finally asking her if I could go on suppressive therapy.  She never tested me since the initial ob. I was always prone to yeast infections and bv...and wonder even though I don't think I'm experiencing either if I should go back to the dr again and test for them....I need to get a handle on this before I lose it! The emotional is even worse then the physical.  Additionally my most obvious sign of an oncoming ob is a large amount of white discharge before and during. I was wondering if this supports the other vaginal issues? Just not sure where to turn next, what to ask for and what to expect.....
Thanks,
Stacy
so the lesion culture was hsv1+?

At this point, I'd stop suppressive therapy to be honest. be seen every single time you have symptoms. have them swab them for herpes as well as test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally.  That will help better figure out what all is going on.

grace
Yes lesion culture positive for hsv1+...are there doctors that specialize in std's? I feel like I'm educating and treating myself.
There are specialists but really any gyn can handle this for you.
Grace.....just wanted to say that I've been thinking about how to make something good come out of this not so positive experience and wanted to say thanks for your help....what you do here is wonderful!

I had a few more questions. From what I've been reading it seems atypical to have 6 OB's in 6 mos with HSV1? But some people do? Are the first 6 mos any indication of my future reoccurrences? Are there any predictors? Most importantly, I can't seem to find any clear answer to this question....my BF has had HSV1 orally since childhood.  Can he get it genitally from me?
if you have any experience making candy easter eggs, come help me...lol never did it before and am imagining a chocolate mess in my kitchen....he he he

about 10% of folks with hsv1 genitally have more than 1 or 2 recurrences a year.  at this point, you need to figure out what is herpes and what isn't. if it turns out it really is just all a hsv1 genital issue, there are things to try. If it's another issue triggering hsv1 to reoccur so often, controlling that other issue will calm down the hsv1. If it's a non-herpes issue causing symptoms and not herpes, have to deal with that problem and can stay off antivirals.  

your bf having a well established oral hsv1 infection gives him significant protection against contracting hsv1 genitally. err on the side of caution and don't have sex when anything is going on genitally but he's very, very unlikely to contract hsv1 genitally.
Would absolutely love too.....make sure you get the good melting chocolates...easier to work with and taste sooooooo much better! Good luck! Happy Easter!