Herpes Community
Friction Blisters or Herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Friction Blisters or Herpes?

I started having sex with a new guy about a week ago today. We had unproctected sex 4 times in one week. The day after the last sexual act, he called me complaining about painful blisters on the foreskin of his penis. I, on the other hand, have had no symptoms of anything and I was last checked for std's back in october of last year (i havent had sex up until I met this guy). Could it be because of too much sex? He said the blisters arent oozing and today, he said they were less painful. Are the blisters due to friction or something more sinister like Herpes? Wouldnt I have had symptoms even if I was affected? Would he show symptoms so soon? I'm scared!
typically herpes is not a part of routine std testing. you'd both have to check to see if you've ever been tested for it before or not.

your partner definitely needs to be seen today or tomorrow for a proper exam and testing. I wouldn't assume these were due to friction automatically and would encourage him to properly follow up on things.

grace
I have an appt scheduled for tomorrow. But I am not having any symptoms. I am scared and confused. If I had Herpes, wouldnt i have had some sort of inkling or outbreak???
your partner needs seen too - not just you!

you can get a herpes igg blood test to see what your status is so that you have a baseline test result.
Im going to request that I have that test done but shouldn't I have had some symptoms by now? Would it show up that quick if I gave it to him? I just dont have any symptoms! Thats where I'm confused...
over 90% of folks who have hsv2, have no idea they have it until tested.  also you can transmit hsv1 from the oral area to the genital area through oral sex too.
Thank you. We have not participated in oral sex..
I am so depressed. I had my blood tested for herpes and syphllis and called in today for my results. The only thing the nurse could tell me is that I have to come in to speak with the Dr., meaning one of the tests came back positive. Now I have to wait all the way until the 29th to find out which is. I have been crying all day and now I am depressed. At one point, I just wanted to take my life because its just about over anyway. My pap smear results are not back so I know the positive results are not from chlamydia or gonnorhea (Gonorrhea). I'm so amazed that I have no symptoms at all and yet, Im positive. Yet, the guy I slept with have red bumps and doesnt even seem concerned!
Hey as of right now you have no reason to be depressed. But if you are feeling that low you need to call a friend you trust and talk or call a depression hotline.

As for your tests, you have no idea if you've tested positive, ifso-what for, and if your doctor even knows what test to administer (These boards are full of people who tested positive only to find out that the test was wrong!

Even if it is Herpes - It equates to a pesky skin condition in most, and if you actually do have it, then it sounds like you are asymptomatic. I am waiting for my Western Blot to confirm if I have it (I was low positive). However, my exwife has admitted she tested positive in 2005. So consider that I have likely had it since 2002 and really had no idea. I have spent two weeks coming to grips with the fact that - - It is not a big deal. It will not kill us, we can have relationships (even with people who are negative), and there is serious research going on that may cure it or prevent transmission in this decade.

Regardless of what that Doctor tells you and what you tested negative or positive for - You are going to be allright. You are going to be fine. Please focus on that and the people who love you.
Thank you replying, but who in their right mind would openly date a person infected with herpes? Ive only had a blood test done for syphllis and herpes, so it has to be one of the two. I do not know of any other blood tests that clinics use that tests for any STD's.
1 out of every 4-5 people you know has hsv2 genitally. It's incredibly common. You can get the risk to a partner down to anywhere from 1-3% depending on the gender with precautions. It's really never a reason to think no one would date you.

they also test for hiv and hepatitis with blood tests. also some clinics will not give results without counseling either.
I have herpes. I had my first outbreak almost a year ago and it really took my life for a spin.

When my doctor told me he was really relaxed about it he said something like "o you have herpes its not a big deal, a lot of people have it and its no danger to you, just superficial." When he told me that i wanted to scream at him because i felt like i wanted to die.

In the beginning i was reading everything i could hopping to find a secret cure or something and found this website that was really comforting.

http://www.herpes.com/hsv1-2.html

A year later and two out breaks i realize my doctor was mostly right. Its a skin infection that you deal with a few times a year. I don't feel so bad off either, its put me more on top of my health, i eat better, i go to the gym, and focus on being stress free. In addition to being physically more healthy its given me a wake up call about my intimate habits, I don't sleep around and i don't have sex with people unless i see their blood work.

I still haven't figured out how to deal with having a boyfriend but there are a bunch of hsv vaccines that are up and coming so i'm not too worried.

I was only tested for syphillis (syphilis) and herpes. The only two.
well we can guess forever but let us know how your appointment goes .
Today is the day I found out why I need to come into the office today. I'll post back with the bad news..
Got my results. I am positive for both HSV1 and HSV2. I have my paperwork but the there are no numbers on it. I do know that the IGG tests were done as it states it on the paperwork. I asked the doctor for a prescription of Valtrex, BUT HE REFUSED!!! He said he dont describe it unless I am having an outbreak! HELLO! I have never had one and wouldnt know how it will feel! I am so livid! Now I am going to have to find a doctor who will give me some Valtrex. I am so sad.
if they are only + and without numeric results, you need to confirm you rhsv2 status with further testing.  don't pay for valtrex until you've confirmed your status.  

you are in the US so you can order up your herpes igg blood testing through an online resource like tstd.org or healthcheckusa.com for about $100 on average depending on where you live. they give you the test results via email so that you can post them here and I can give you hand with them. You can even save money and just get the hsv2 igg done.
Thank you. I would like that very much. Would I have to stick myself?
oh no, you order up your testing through them and you go to your local labcorp or quest lab to have it drawn by them .
Oh ok! There are plenty where I live! I most definitely will do that! I just wished I was prescribed some type of suppresant....
Ive noticed some IGM results also on my paperwork. It had numbers near the IGM, but those are not too reliable right?
correct - igm results are fairly meaningless.