Herpes Expert Forum
From exposure to transmission

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

From exposure to transmission

On Sat evening the 20th i had unprotected sex with a girl i had been with a couple of months ago with no issues.This encounter was mutual oral sex with a very brief penetration of her vagina. I had bad hip aches that night and some unusual fatigue for a couple of days but had also been moving up and down stairs and heavy yard work that I wasn't used to. Wed evening I had mutual oral sex with a different girl with no thought of a possible problem. Thurs evening I see two bumps on my scrotum underneath my penis that appear to be regular whiteheads. Scratch off the top and put on some alcohol and then get the omg could the first girl have given me herpes. Go to the doctor fri morning and she says it doesn't look like herpes but we take blood for a test. Later the bumps become full whiteheads with thick white pus and I find a hair in both of them. Feeling pretty good and confident of no herpes. Sun talk to the second girl who now has a severe sore throat, fever and body aches. Another omg. Could I actually have herpes and given it to the second girl. She goes to the doctor who says it looks like strep but doesn't take a culture and gives shot and antibiotics. Talked to her earlier and she still had fever. My main question is how likely is it for me to have a possible exposure and then give it to somebody else 72 hr later? Don't want to talk to her until sure cause I don't want to put her through what I am dealing with if not necessary. Thanks
Hmmmm.  Difficult to say for sure what might be going on here.  If the clinician that you saw didn't think it was herpes, I'm assuming she did no swab test?  Usually herpes doesn't have pus in it, at least not the kind you are describing, though sometimes they can get a pale white color to the nature of the blister.  It is possible that one person could have infected you and you could have given it to the other girl, yes.  

I think my advice for now would be to wait and see if the 2nd girl develops any sores on the outside of her mouth.  Do you know if the 1st girl has a history of cold sores?  Is that something you could ask?  

In truth, it would have been much better if swab testing had been done both from your penis and the throat of the 2nd girl.  An antibody test for you, if you have new infection, is not going to be very helpful because antibody takes time to develop and it was too soon for that.  

If I had to take a guess I would say herpes probably isn't involved, but I certainly couldn't be certain about that by any means.

Wish I could be more helpful or more certain but under the circumstances, I think you will have to wait and see what happens here.

Terri
I think she has had some cold sores but not a regular thing. I never have had one. Thanks for your response. One thing is for sure, no matter how this turns out my world view has been changed forever.
My bumps havent cleared up completely and i think i can get something out of them. if i can get some fluid out could i still get a swab done?
Just spoke to the second girl that is sick. Her dr called and told her she had a bacterial infection. Dodged that bullet but it is amazing the thoughts in my head still torment me. Hard to just accept the news and come down from this place of worry. I almost believe the emotional trauma is worse than the disease.
The emotional trauma you feel is directly related to how awful you think herpes is.  Just for the record, herpes is an inconvenient  medical problem that has far more psychological implications than medical ones.  It is well managed with medication.  It can be transmitted to other people through sexual contact which makes it such an emotionally loaded condition

Terri