Herpes Expert Forum
Further testing needed?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Further testing needed?

Hi, So about 6 years ago I had herpes like symptoms on the genitals a few days after receiving oral sex. Was visually diagnosed but not swabbed. Went to get tested for all STDs a few months later and the nurse told me they couldn't do a herpes blood test but tested for everything else which came out negative. About a year later had what appeared to be a mild recurrence which went away after a few days then nothing since. I recently had a Capita IgG Elisa blood test done through lab corp and both HSV1 and HSV2 came back negative. Do I need to have more blood testing done here? If so what test should I get?
55646_tn?1263664409
Yes.  I would recommend the herpes western blot.  It is far more sensitive for HSV 1 than the ELISA test, and that's what you would most likely have contracted if it was oral sex only that you had.  You can get that by ordering a test kit directly from the University of Washington or by calling our clinic to have us order it if you become a patient of ours.  

HSV 1 genitally will recur infrequently.  

Probably would be good to know what's actually going on here so you can be proactive about sexual encounters.

terri  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
55646_tn?1263664409
Terri Warren, RN, Adult Nurse Pr...Blank
Westover Heights Clinic
Portland, OR
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker