Herpes Community
GHSV 1 Odd Symptoms

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

GHSV 1 Odd Symptoms

I was diagnosed with GHSV 1 on May 11, 2011 via a culture swab to what looked like a very mild rash on the side of my penis and on my scrotum.  The rash appeared to be disappearing after about a week, but flared up and covered my entire scrotum about a week later.  The rashing on the penis has not gotten any worse, however it has not subsided either.  The rash that covers most of my scrotum seems to be getting better at times (I think) but then flares back up about every week and never truly heals.  In fact, my condition looks just as bad today, 2 1/2 months later, then it ever has. There is some itching and tingling involved, but no blisters or lesions of any sort.  I do experience what I believe to be nerve pain in my thighs.  Is it possible for a primary ghsv 1 breakout to last this long without any "classic" symptoms?  Has anybody had an experience similar to this and what has your experience with ghsv 1 been?  Does it seem to be as mild as most studies and doctors suggest?  Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Well, initial episodes might linger for a while, HSV1 or HSV2. There might be a first round of lesions, then a second one a few weeks later. And there might be some neuropathic symptoms (tingling, etc.) as well, which seems to be your case.

Are you taking any medication?

If you're still having a rash you should see your doctor, to make sure this is herpes going on. It might be some other skin irritation, jock itch, etc. HSV1 is known for not recurring a lot, but such mildness is not related to the degree of discomfort and such during obs. HSV1 and HSV2 tend to cause similar outbreaks when they reoccur.
We have a saying here on the forum: Just because you have genital herpes, doesn't mean everything down yonder IS genital herpes :-)

Your current symptoms are almost certainly not your HSV1. Have you been seen to get checked for fungal or bacterial infection? You could try an OTC antifungal perhaps and see if that works, or be seen by your medical provider where they can test for it.

I too have genital HSV1, and in fact while my first outbreak was a doozy (very painful lesions), I've only had a couple very minor outbreaks since then (it's been about 3 years now). Chances are I may never have another, or if I do, perhaps one every other year or so. HSV1 is the "good" one to have genitally as HSV1 doesn't do well in the genital area, so to speak. I never really think about it, nor does it at all impact my life, aside from when I post on this forum :-)

Herpes outbreaks are just that: you get lesions/rash, it peaks, crusts and heals. Shouldn't be any longer than a week or two at most. But yes, I've had other issues such as dermatitis and fungal infections, so get it checked out since it's been this long.
Thanks to both of you for our timely responses and help.  I have taken quite a bit of medication (valtrex & zovirax) for about 50 days or so.  Some of the Valtrex came from a pharmacy (about 20g), but most of it was ordered from an online place that doesn't require a prescription (risky and possibly fake I realize).  I also took Zovirax for about 9 days or so, with no real results.  Also, I did see my doctor 2 days ago and he said he didn't think that it was my HSV either.  I am currently applying some topical creams (cortizone & clotrimazole), so hopefully this helps.  

Thanks again for both of your opinions.
Nothing you have said suggests herpes. Herpes doesn't hang around and produce symptoms one day, gone the next and reappear. You have some sort of jock itch going on there. Not sure what your Doctor swabbed to come up with a herpes diagnosis but you probably need to change him like your undewear. I stopped reading after the first few sentences because nothing suggests herpes at all. You probably HSV 1 as most people do but what you have downstairs there isn't something from herpes.
Dr Hook also gave you terrific advice that wasn't too different from what you were given here.  no reason to think you had fake valtrex just because your symptoms are still there - they would've cleared up long before now even without any treatment at all.

topical steroids can cause recurrences of genital herpes. don't be surprised if you get a recurrence of herpes while using the product you are using :(  

if cost is an issue, switch to acyclovir instead of valtrex instead of ordering online from questionable places. you can get a round of acyclovir at walmart even without insurance for $4.  they both work the same just you take the zovirax/acyclovir more often than valtrex. I assume you haven't been taking them both at the same time?

grace