Herpes Community
Gave oral sex two weeks after a herpes outbreak. Danger?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Weeks after an oral herpes HSV-1 outbreak, I continued to feel tingling. After refusing to kiss my partner for several weeks, I finally convinced myself I was experiencing post herpetic neuralgia (or just paranoia) and had a pretty wild night, including a great deal of oral sex, me to him and him to me.  The tingling has not stopped, and I'm very worried: Is there a large chance that I passed it to him? I've been taking a daily 1000 mg pill of valtrex, and regularly use lysine and sunblock for these recent very bright days.

Thanks!
Has your partner ever been tested to know his own herpes status? Never having symptoms means nothing.

No way of knowing if you transmitted your HSV1 based on that particular encounter - most likely he would experience obvious symptoms (painful lesions) within 2-20 days. Otherwise, he can get an IgG blood test to know his status - now, and if negative again

I have genital HSV1, transmitted by my partner through oral sex (he has oral HSV1). He hadn't had a cold sore in years, but herpes can be transmitted via viral "shedding". So keep that in mind - no symptoms doesn't mean you're in the clear from transmitting your herpes.

Anyway, if your partner already has oral HSV1, it gives him significant protection against getting it genitally (same for you).

Lysine does nothing to prevent shedding nor has it ever been proven to help with outbreaks.
Thanks so much for your response- you're absolutely right- I can give it to him with or without any symptoms whatsoever, so the only way to be safe all the time is to use protection in every scenario, and I know that's not always possible (or preferable).

I would just like to mentally prepare for the worst possible scenario: If he does break out in sores within the next few days/weeks, what would be the best, most sensitive way to support him (other than making sure he understands that this doesn't limit, degrade, or stall him in any way, he can take antiviral therapy, he's still sexy, etc)?

He hasn't been tested for herpes and says (as you predicted) that he has never had any symptoms. So we'll just wait and hope for the best!
phn doesn't usually occur with herpes simplex, just herpes zoster.  it also typically only occurs during the initial infection, not with recurrences. odds are all this tingling is not related to your hsv1.

at this point, I recommend your partner get tested to know his status. perhaps he has hsv2 and you don't know it - you could be taking precautions to protect yourself from that too. You know you have hsv1, you can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take in this relationship until you know who has what.

should your partner develop symptoms, he should be seen promptly for a lesion culture and typing as well as treatment to shorten the duration and the severity of his initial ob.  

grace