Herpes Community
Genital Discomfort - Uncertain diagnosis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

For nearly a month I've been experiencing genital discomfort (mainly the scrotum feels, itchy or as if it's ultra-sensitive to being prickled by hair).  I had sex with a young woman just under a month ago, and since then I've felt this discomfort.  We engaged in protected vagina intercourse and unprotected anal intercourse.  She told me that she's only been with one other person aside from me, and that she doesn't have anything.  Although I do know that people can lie or be unaware.  This is the second person that I've ever had sex with.  Since I began experiencing symptoms, I've tried multiple things to alleviate the discomfort.  There are no signs of lesions, or pustule; just discomfort.  1.)  I went to the ER and was seen by a nurse and doctor who both said they saw no signs of STD's and treated me with antibiotics (Rocephin and Doxycycline) for the most common STD's.  2)  I shaved the itchy/uncomfortable area in an attempt to alleviate it.  This didn't work and I think the newly grown hair made it even more uncomfortable.  3.) I went to Planned Parenthood where I was seen by a nurse practitioner who said she saw no signs of STD's either, and thought the discomfort was the result of shaving.  4.) I've tried aloe and baby powder with corn starch and neither has solved the problem.  5.) I saw a dermatologist who said he saw nothing abnormal either.  I know that the window periods for most STD tests can take up to 3 months, so I was wondering what anybody could recommend.

Thanks for the help and support
I sympathize with you mate.  I had tingling all over my genitals too after an encounter and I've seen doctors, gone to an STD clinic, seen a dermatologist and they just say they cant see any signs of STDs.  BUT, in my view, that doesn't mean I don't have them.  I still have another 2 1/2 months of waiting around for a blood test.  From my research, apparently up to 60% of people with herpes never show any symptoms.  I don't have the same kind of discomfort that you described, but all I can say is hang in there for a couple of months until you can know definitively.  

Please keep us posted on your outcome.
I had the exact same symptoms, and still do. Itching and redness, but no sores. My last encounter was 3 months ago, and I just got my blood tests back from last week. Both my HSV-1 and HSV-2 came back with very low negatives, and I also tested negative for all other STD's. I also tried to clean up my area, switch soaps, and treat for jock itch- no difference. I still have the itching and redness, but according to my tests, I don't have herpes. I'm completely confused as to what it could be, and am probably gonna end up getting another blood test a couple months from now.
I totally hear what you guys are saying...I to have had redness but no real itching the odd itch but nothing thats out of the ordinary. This Thursday it will be 11 weeks since my last possible exposure since then I had sensative genitals two weeks post exposure. (Nothing to bad just noticed underwear seemed tomake me uncomfortable rubbing down below, had to keep adjusting) Then a number of signs on my face started to show up......Nothing really noticable to anyone but me....Then after 6 weeks pain between scrotum and anus, not unbarable but I needed an ice pack. Now the shaft seems to be getting red after showers.....Everyone seems to think its in my mind and I should just go on with my life....Easier said than done.

Please keep me posted.....
Thinking about it makes it worse, but if were all in the same boat there was something that started all the "thinking". For me, the symptoms started, then I started to worry, a downward spiral. But I have no idea whats causing it, and neither do any of the doctors I have seen. All of them just seem to say "jock itch" or "anxiety". But jock itch treatment hasn't worked and I feel like anxiety wouldn't target an itch specifically in my genital region... It seems like there are a lot of people in this forum with exactly the same symptoms- and no answers. I guess all we can do is keep seeing doctors and sharing information with each other. Lets all hope for the best.
all i can tell you made a mistake by shaving you're pubic hair because when it grows back it hurts more.
You need to return to the dermatologist for this continued itching and discomfort.  The antibiotics you were given originally wouldn't cover all the bacterial skin infections it could be. Also if this is fungal you haven't covered that yet either. To boot, you shaved which just spreads things and gives it a chance to take hold better.  If you didn't think the dermatologist you originally saw was helpful/believing you - see a different one.

grace
I'm trying to get an appointment with my doctor. (Dermatologist) Each day calling looking for cancellations to slide in..

Grace, I'm not a hypocondriac, I know I have to work with my doctors to figure this out but they don't seem willing or able to suggest what might be going on. (other than anxiety) My feeling,,, and correct me if I'm wrong. There's nothing they can do so why rush to find the answer. Since I have symptoms that can be just about anything including herpes,,, why draw the conclusion before you have the text book symptoms. (Or the IGG blood test) which neither has suggested. All I can say is no wonder so many people have this virus when the medical community does not take it seriously....

Not sure what you mean by antibiotics, I was not put on  antibiotics, though the lady I was with, was put on antibiotics shortly after we were together at the beginning of July. (She found out she had a UTI since her test showed bacteria present) She found this out when I requested she get looked at.

Grace can you tell me if Herpeselect is available in Canada? I know Western Blot is available but Herpeselect is more accurate sooner than WB. I'd like to take HS test first at 12 weeks and WB at 6 months....

You wrote in your original post that you were given rocephin and doxy. Those are antibiotics.

Yes you can get the herpeselect in canada.  You won't get a WB as easily though. I actually don't believe that anyone is doing it in canada since they closed down Dr Sack's clinic after he died a few years ago :(    

This really doesn't sound at all like herpes.  

Have you tried an otc jock itch cream at all yet?

grace
Oh thats WM21 he was on those antibiotics...At top of thread.....

Western Blot is available here in Canada through Life Quest Labs (Formerly MDS Labs) All doctors can order it if they know about it....It blows my mind how little is know about this infection even by the doctors......Herpeselect is the only test I'm unable to find any information on up here....I take it its not available but Im sure it was approved 2006 I'll just have to ask when I go into see the dermatologist....

Looks like I'll do the WB at 12 weeks and again at 6 months.........
Sorry I addressed my reply to the wrong person - I meant to address it to the original poster. You already have your own thread going.

Life quest offers the herpeselect.

grace

grace

( hopefully that clears up any confusion - obviously I was confused when I made my reply and didn't scroll up far enough to get the op's name )