Genital HSV-1 vs Genital HSV-2
Hi Dr.,

I've been living with Genital HSV-1 for about 5 years now. I recently met a great guy and told him about my STD. He was ok with it in the beginning. We both went to our doctors to get more information. I went to mine to find out the best way or preventing my boyfriend of getting HSV-1 Genitally and he went to his Dr. to find out more about the disease. I am currently taking Valtrex once a day. In 5 years I have had 1 outbreak. My boyfriends doctor told him if he did not plan on marrying me then he should consider finding a girlfriend with out an STD. This really hurt my feelings. Does this Dr. expect all of the people with STD's to make love to eachother? I guess my question is, what can I tell him to ease his fear? Like I said, I have HSV-1, have had 1 out break in 5 years, am taking valtrex once a day and we use condoms.

Is the likelyhood of spreading HSV-1 much lower than HSV-2? What do you think the odds of me giving him HSV-1 asympotmatically are?

Any info will be much appreciated,
I am not an expert, but from what I have read on these forums, the risk of spreading HSV-1 is much lower than HSV-2.  With genital HSV-1 infections, outbreaks are less frequent and viral shedding does not occur as much.  It is more likely that a person with oral HSV-1 will infect their partner through oral sex.  My guess is that even if you did not take Valtrex, your outbreaks would not be frequent.  Some people have only one or a few outbreaks their whole life.  I would not let this interfere with a satisfying sexual relationship with your partner.  Also, it is very possible your partner has an HSV-1 oral infection!!  I think about half of the population are infected with oral HSV-1 infections.  If this is the case, he will probably be immune to getting it genitally.  Have him get a HerpeSelect test to find out!

Finally, shame on your boyfriend's doctor - that was an ignorant and very insensitive thing to say.  Sounds like he has a lot of learning to do.

Best wishes,
Em    
I agree totally with Emma.

Here is an article written by one of the leading experts on herpes - http://blogs.webmd.com/genital-herpes-intimate-conversations/2006/02/type-i-herpes-transmission.html

You should also do a search for hsv1 in the experts forum here, and you will find that your bf's doc is a moron.  The chances of you giving him hsv1 are very slim, and if he hasn't tested for hsv1 yet, he should.  

AJ
I hate to say this but the Dr. did NOT say that!!! It is your boyfriend who has thought it over and wants to pass the buck onto his Dr. for saying such a rude comment. There is no way a Doctor would make a recommendation like that!!! As far as HSV1 genitially, you're lucky it isn't 2 since the outbreaks are way less, if at all! I wouldn't even be taking Valtrex if I were you unless you feel an outbreak coming on and you may very well be surprised if you ever had an outbreak again!!! I am sorry but I just don't think a Dr. would tell your boyfriend to get another girlfriend...
Slacker,

You don't know that the doc didn't say that.  I've heard of all kinds of comments that docs have said, and it wouldn't surprise me.

You have no basis for saying that.

AJ

No I swear this was all his Doctor. I'm dating a very open and honest person who cares about me enough to go and do some research. Unfortunatley he went to the wrong person.
Yep unfortunately I've heard many folks  on the boards report that that's what they were told or their partners were told.  Damn shame that's for sure.

Your bf needs to get himself tested to see what his status is too.

grace