Herpes Community
Genital HSV-1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Genital HSV-1

I was recently diagnosed for genital HSV-1, although I think I have had this for a while now. I had the blood test and that confirmed my diagnosis. I know I got it from one of my partners since I always have engaged in lots of oral sex though out the years, although, I have never had any kind of oral herpes. If my partner already has oral HSV-1 is it possible to give him genital HSV-1? How common is getting HSV-1?
Unless you had a swab/culture of genital symptoms would you know definitively that you have genital HSV1. A positive blood test only tells you you have it, not where you have it (yes, even without oral symptoms).

If your partner already have HSV1, then there are really no worries. Just avoid genital contact (including oral sex) if either of you are symptomatic.

The next time you have genital (or potentially oral) symptoms, be seen promptly for a swab/culture to verify it's actually herpes.
Thank you, I am pretty sure that I do have it genitally. I have occasional outbreaks that feel ichy and burning at one part on the external part of my genitals although it's always in that one spot and pretty small.
HSV1 genitally hardly recurs; I really would consider getting test when you have symptoms. Self-diagnosis isn't reliable - heck even doctors get a visual diagnosis of herpes wrong 30% of the time!
Well at the time of testing I did have symptoms. I am having trouble coping when I have an outbreak too. I feel so dirty.
Nick,
are you saying you had a lesion cultured and it came back positive for HSV1? Or did you just get a blood test at the time of the symptoms?

If you had genital "symptoms" and only got a blood test that came back positive for type 1, it doesn't mean you have genital herpes. You can have Type one orally and NEVER have a cold sore.

Really? What are things that could get mixed up for being genital herpes?
Tons of things. Basically even the most experienced doctors cannot correctly identify herpes 100% of the time by sight alone. A blood test that shows a positive HSV1 result does in in no way definitely mean you have genital herpes.
The next time you get one of these "outbreaks" see a doctor IMMEDIATELY for a swab culture.

Good luck.