Herpes Community
Genital HSV-1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Genital HSV-1

I was just diagnosed with HSV-1 and to be honest I know nothing little about it and my doctor was more in a rush to get me out of the office than willing to talk with me about it. I know that HSV-1 can affect the genitals, as it has with me, what is the difference between genital HSV-1 and HSV-1? What is the likelihood I will have recurrences? Will they all be genital since the initial outbreak is? Will they all be this severe?? I have been in horrible pain the past three days.
I would advise you to review the free herpes handbook found at www.westoverheights.com

HSV-1 is HSV-1 but you have it genitally so you will not get cold sores on your mouth.  It just means that the site of infection is in the nerves that serve the genital location  (Boxer Shorts region).

Genital HSV-1 is of the two types to have if you were going to have HSV.  Genital HSV-1 doesn't reoccur often if it does it all.  If it does your outbreak will be in the "Boxer Shorts" region.  It mainly is not going to be that severe.  It is usually more mild.  

HSV-1 Genital also has less of a shedding rate.  Shedding is when the virus is active on the skin but you do not have a genital lesisons.  The shedding rate for HSV-1 genital is about 3-5% of days per year.  

Feel free to keep asking us questions.  
did you have a lesion culture of your genital symptoms that came back as hsv1+?

grace