Herpes Community
Genital HSV1 outbreaks

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Genital HSV1 outbreaks

Hello. First I think I should say that I am a nurse with an ICU background.  My specialty doesn't have anything to do with STD's though so I think my knowledge of viruses and medications/ side effects ect just give me more fears and hesitations than a good basis for helping myself deal with this.  About 10 years ago my (now ex) husband gave me genital hsv1 via oral sex.  This was confirmed via swabs not blood testing.  I had the initial outbreak, one about a year later, then no outbreaks for 8 years.  In the last two years I have had 5 outbreaks.  I am concerned at this increasing frequency of the outbreaks.  I have spoken with my doctors about starting suppressive therapy with acyclovir but wanted a little more feedback, as my doctors just said if that's what I'd like to do I can.  I am wondering if I start suppressive therapy now but decide to discontinue it in the future if there is a risk for "rebound" outbreaks once I discontinue the medication?

On another note I was trying to find a more natural remedy for decreasing frequency of outbreaks and suppressing the virus and found a remedy stating that taking food grade hydrogen peroxide (diluted of course to a safe investable level) will actually make IGG levels negative.  The article states that this has been used outside of the US for years but is not recommended within the US.  Of course they go on to state that it's because of the big drug companies (which I have nothing against pharmaceutical companies) but I would like to decrease the use of multi side effect drugs if possible.  

Any feedback is appreciated.  Thank you, Linds
hydrogen peroxide is non-chlorine bleach. we stopped using it routinely in health care because it was found to do more harm than good. I don't recommend ingesting it regularly for herpes.  I've never read any studies that show that it has any effect on herpes igg or even decreasing herpes recurrences for that matter.

have you been seen when you have had recurrences in the last 2 years? have they tested you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally?  bv especially is known to make herpes more active . also other infections can cause symptoms similar to herpes too.  

the herpes virus is still active when you are on daily suppressive therapy. it reactivates as usual, just the acyclovir disrupts the viral replication cycle so that most of the time , not enough active virus is present to shed or to lead to obvious lesions. though some folks seem to think they get rebound ob's after they stop it, it's just the virus continuing to do what its been doing all along. your ob pattern will go back to what it was previously when you stop suppressive therapy.

grace
Grace, thank you for your help.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers