Herpes Community
Genital Herpes Sores Not Healing

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Genital Herpes Sores Not Healing

I was first diagnosed with Genital Herpes back in 2003 - since then my outbreaks have become very mild.  Upon noticing symptoms, I start treatment (using Valtrex or Valcivir) and sores healed quickly (couple days at most.)

May 2012, I got a new infection of Herpes (not in same location as previous infection) on tip of penis from a sexual contact.  This outbreak was most severe since my initial outbreak in 2003.  Unlike any other time, the sores were very painful and were very itchy and tender.  Due to lack of health insurance, I went to sexual health clinic and was given Acyclovir (800 mg X 2 times/day) for 5 days and took all medication.  After a week, my symptoms did not disappear and was still experiencing a severe outbreak.  

I went back to the clinic and was started on suppression therapy (400mg x 2 times/day).  I was given the first month of medication and told to continue taking monthly prescription for 6 months.  After starting my suppression medication level treatment, I noticed my outbreak started to spread - new lesions appeared on other side of penis head, balls, penis shaft (other side from initial infection) and even one sore on body above penis shaft.  

The severe pain & itch made me scratch (over underwear/jeans) and I think that this lead to the lesions spreading.  After about 3 1/2 days on the suppression medication level, with my condition was worsening, I decided by myself to double up on dosage (2 400 mg pills x 2 times/day) and that seemed to help healing and eased the pain/itch.  At the 800 mg x 2 times/day, sores started to heal and constant pain/itch had went away.  I figured I would do that for couple days and go back on suppression prescription.

After 5 days with my symptoms improving, I started back on the prescribed suppression level.  After one day on 400 mg @ 2 times/day, the pain/itch came back all the time, new sores appeared.  Clearly, I was getting worse again.  So, I started back up on the doubling up the dosage - again, symptoms improved, less pain/itch, etc.

Now, as of today, I am out of pills.  I am not able to renew my prescription with the clinic for another 1.5+ weeks.  I am afraid symptoms will now get worse again.  I am terrified that due to pain/itch, I will continue to spread and self-infect myself in new places.  Again, I do not have insurance and due to working 3 pt jobs, it is hard to find time to go into the clinic.  I intent to call Monday to see about an appt - but I work all day at one job and then another till after 10 p.m. - which is past open clinic hours.  UGH.

Couple questions and comments, any insights will be helpful:
* I read online about natural supplements to help with outbreaks - I got vitamin C, Zinc and L-Lysine pills to help - and started to take those pills about 4 days ago.  How long does it take for stuff to start to help reduce outbreaks, improve symptoms?

* Is Acyclovir not as effective in treating herpes outbreak vs. Valtrex or Valcivir?

* Could taking the higher dosage for basically 2 full weeks be toxic to my body?  Cause the virus in my body to become drug treatment resistant?  

* The guy I was with was visiting the US from China.  I read that China is experiencing a gonorrhea super bug that is drug resistant - is there any reports of Genital Herpes being drug resistant too?  

Help...I am going crazy at constantly have a severe outbreak vs. self prescribing myself to double up on dosage to ease symptoms and now being out of drugs at all unsure what to do next.  HELP ME.  I am afraid that if I am not at the higher dosage level (800 mg x 2 times/day) I will experience the severe pain/itch, continue to infect myself and never get rid of symptoms.  

HELP ME PLEASE.  
you didn't get a new herpes infection. it's not unusual to have herpes ob's anywhere in the entire boxer short area over time. they won't always be in the same place.

odds are this isn't actually your herpes going on from the sounds of things. you need to be seen at a dermatologist for a further work up if you can get in to see one this week. Sounds more like a fungal infection or even a bacterial skin infection than a herpes recurrence.

grace
Oh, also, this sexual contact was oral (him on me) and anal but with condom, if that matters.  I am guessing I got it from him from the oral contact.

grace
Thanks Grace.  I went to my primary care doctor (I got the cash to pay for a real doctor appt.) and he said it looked like herpes and potentially a fungal or problem too.  So, I got a prescription and things seem to be improving.  Fingers crossed.  

I think it is a fungal issue - I had used some jock itch spray for a couple days before this all started and I wonder if that helped to cause the issue.  Who knows.
sometimes the spray doesn't work very well and it can also irritate the skin sometimes if you have sensitive skin. generally for the genital area, the cream works better or even the oral pill.

glad things are getting better :)
I have used jock itch spray many times with no issues.  Who knows.  

While, the 2 sores are improving - slowly going away - but they are still present.  I have been on dosage for a week - I had hoped that all sores would be gone or barely noticeable by now.