Herpes Community
Ghsv-1 Please help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Ghsv-1 Please help

Hello, So it started like this.. My girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me because she started liking another guy and what not. I took it super hard started drinking every night, started doing drugs so i could sleep, this went on for about 2 months. I finnaly decided i have to move on and get over her somehow and i thought sleeping with another girl would do the trick right ?. No Wrong, i hooked up with some girl went back to my place and we had unprotected drunk sex, 3 days later i feel a pain in my left testical, then a few days later i develop a rash just above my penis by about 1 inch in the pubic area, I was scared as hell , emotionally damaged because the whole time i was thinking about my girlfriend of 2 years . Anyways i went to the doctors when the rash turned into 2 blisters, he did a blood test it was all negative of course, then he did a swab test, 2 weeks later he calls me back telling me i have hsv-1. I was so broken, not only was i sad about my girl leaving me now i have herpes and feel gross as hell. Anyways i have a few questions if anyone could please answer it would be gratefully appreciated.

I asked the doctor if i could still have sex without a condom since it wasnt on my penis. He sayed its no problem as long as i dont have an active outbreak. Is that true ?

its been about 1 month since i got infected and the rash is still there, im on no meds , and i still have pain in my lymph nodes in my legs, and in my left testical it seems to hurt every other day, along with the tip of my penis.

How can i protect someone when i have hsv-1 on my pubic area ? a condom doesnt cover the area....

The doctor sayed he calls it herpes gladitorium or something because its common among fighters or something ? .

Once the rash finnaly heals is it likely ill see it again ? its killing me .... if my girl ever decides to come back how the hell will i ever explain this ? ...

oh and one other thing, we never had oral sex during intercourse  

Thanks for reading and than you for your time.
1) Your doctor is a tad bit wrong in saying that you can have sex without symptoms, but not totally off. Genital HSV-1 is contagious less than 12 days (including outbreaks) per year on average, so it's highly unlikely to transmit this through genital-to-genital sex except during outbreaks. Most likely, the girl you slept with was having an outbreak, and either didn't notice it or didn't tell you. HSV-1 doesn't shed asymptomatically anywhere near HSV-2. Fortunately, 50-90% of adults have HSV-1 (mostly orally as cold sores), and this makes them immune or at the very least extremely resistant to getting HSV-1 genitally. So, it's highly probable that the next girl you date or maybe even your ex girlfriend already has HSV-1, and if she does then she's not at risk of getting it again in another location.

You really don't need to be on meds with genital HSV-1 since you'll probably never have another outbreak again, and due to the fact that it sheds so infrequently.

2). Typically just avoiding sex when you have anything going on genitally is all it takes to prevent transmission even if that person doesn't have HSV-1. Condoms are going to provide 30% protection for those who don't have HSV-1 already, and for those that do have HSV-1 (50-90% of people do) no sexual precautions are necessary to prevent transmission. Your chances of passing this on are very low to those who don't have HSV-1 already.

3). Herpes gladitorium is a form of HSV-1, but it's rarely, if ever located in the public region. A person with herpes gladitorium usually gets lesions on their forehead and surrounding areas. You have HSV-1 like most adults except it's in a different area.

4). When the rash and lesions heal, it's unlikely you'll see it again. 40% of those with genital HSV-1 do not get future outbreaks. 50% of those that do get 1-2 over the span of a few years, and very, very few get recurring outbreaks like with HSV-2. According to many doctors and some STD experts, genital and oral HSV-1 isn't necessary to disclose at all since most people have it, and those who don't will eventually get it (only 10% of people make it out of life without catching HSV-1). It's up to you if you want to disclose or not, but I think you should think if the tables were turned, wouldn't you like to be told? It's totally up to you; I'm not here to tell you what to do with your life. Also, you were incredibly likely to get HSV-1 at some point in your life since it infects 90% of people by 70 years old.

just to be clear - it was the lesion culture that was hsv1+ and not any of your blood testing?  Also do you know if it was hsv igg blood testing that was done or igm testing?

why didn't your provider give you herpes antivirals for your symptoms?

since the rash is still there a  month later, I'd be seen again and have it checked out.

grace

Hey Grace it a swab test taken from the lesion that was positive for Hsv1 , I had 3 blood tests done im not sure what kind tho, my first 1 was to early, the second one was done 3 weeks later, and the third one was done just recently and all negative.

The doc sayed it was to late to give me any medication, Sayed i had to start the medication as soon as my outbreak started not when it was already healing.

And will do, the rash isnt as big or anything but if u look u can defiantly see where the 2 blisters used to be and its slightly red around the area. Im just concerned about the pain ... I still feel pain in my left testical every now and then and just recently the tip of my penis has a slight stinging in it. It doesn't hurt when i urinate or anything tho.

It is possible that it got infected when i shaved ? when i first noticed the blisters i shaved over them to clear the area so i could make sure of what it was. I saw 3 doctors that told me different things, the first one sayed it was because im so stressed out my skins breaking out, the other one told me it was because i shaved and irritated the hair. the 3rd one told me it was a bacterial infection and i went onto medication for that, that lasted about 1 week. Then once the swab test came back positive they just told me to come back if i have an outbreak again. :(
Thank you so much for your reply castello that makes me feel much better i really hope it doesn't reoccur ofter if ever. Ill defiantly let anyone I'm with know about it ... just don't really know how to. do you know if feeling pain down there is normal on a first outbreak? the rash doesn't hurt its just still a little red but every now and then i get pain in the testicals and the tip of the penis. or could that be a bacterial infection also ? and if it is will it go away eventually or do i need medication for that ? because i was on antibacterial meds before when they thought it was a bacterial infection and not hsv-1. and it did help for sure with the pain but as soon as i was done the treatment its back. and was told to take 2 aspirins every day instead.
Well i don't know what this means but since ive started developing a pain at the tip of my penis, a white discharge comes out , i was tested for ghonoria and chlimidia. 3 days after i slept with the girl ... but it was all negative.. possible if the urin test was to early ?? .  man girl gives me hsv-1 and something else maybe ? ..its killing me
yes, 3 days post encounter was too early. go back and be seen again for more testing.
Ok so i went to a medical clinic, the doctor looked at the rash and sayed it was healing up fine... still tho its been 40 days ... and for the discharge he gave me 5 pills to take all at once to kill bacteria. So i took them and the discharge stopped within 24 hours, now my concerns are this:

-My lymph nodes are all still swollen, neck and groin area, is this still from being infected with ghsv-1 40 days ago ?

-I still have lower abdominal pain every now and then threwout the day as well as my testicals with a throbbing pain.

- Penis is still very sensitive

please help , thanks
did they do any std testing or just throw antibiotics at you?
They just threw me antibiotics , it was azinthromycin  only 5 pills took them all at once.
that's unfortunate that they didn't do testing too :(  

give this a week and if you aren't feeling better, be seen elsewhere.
Hey grace, here is the update

So the pain has gone away down there, thank god.. and there is no more discharge at all that cleared up as soon as i took the 5 pills. But i still have a rash from the Ghsv-1. and again its located just above my genitals, and i still have swollen lymph nodes in the groin area and neck. So im going to the std clinic tomorrow to get everything tested again im just really worried, the swab test came back as ghsv-1 and even tho i was broken to hear that news ive come to terms with it, i just cant take anymore bad news if anything else comes up. I talked with the nurse on the phone told her the rash was still there after 2 months and she told me " then it's not herpes" but yeah obviously is ....,  just scares me that my lymph nodes are still swollen, is there any chance i could have HIV ? .... ive been worried sick. i messaged the girl i was with the night i got ghsv-1 ( she is a nurse also ironic ? ). She sayed all her last test results came back clean and she is gonna send me them so i can see for myself. then i mentioned HIV to her and she right away sayed there was no way. anyways ill post more when i get my results thanks for reading.
many things can cause lymph nodes to remain swollen. I certainly would not be thinking hiv automatically.   going to be seen again is the best thing. stop back and let us know how the appointment went :)
Hey grace, well i went back to the STD clinic march 1st i tested positive for ghonorria or chlimidia they where not sure but they knew i had one because they did a swab test to find it. So i took a bunch of pills and within 2 weeks it was gone and cleared up. So i went back last week because its been months since my hsv-1 outbreak and wanted to see if it was in my blood and all.

So they did every test, i had another swab of my urethra done ... never again is that happening lol, They did a blood test to test for hsv hiv and a bunch of other stuff, and a urine test.

Everything came back negative for everything .... no hsv even tho i had the outbreak on january 3rd.

when i sayed i still had a rash the nurse told me it wasn't a rash but just a skin color problem from the blisters, sayed it will take a few months for the skin to completely change back to its normal color.

Anyways i was just wondering how everything is negative now, i know i have hsv-1 from the swab done on the blister when it was there.

And on the better part of things i have a new girlfriend .... it's very new so i have to figure out how to explain what i have to her before anything happends :(. I think im just gonna write a page of info on it in a word document and put links to helpfull sites and posts so she can see them all :( but i have no idea... wicked scared to loose her but i wouldnt blame her at all if she left me :(. Anywhoo random but i hope things work out, Thanks for your time Grace and castello, helped me so much its insane.
even the best blood tests for herpes still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. you have the + lesion culture so you know what you have and where.

Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers