Grace, Please help!!!
I was tested by herpes select igm & igg in june of 2011 results were positve for both hsv-1 & hsv-2, not sure what the actual levels were it did not show on the lab results. i have always had cold sore so i dont doubt the hsv-1is false positvie but i have never had outbreak. When i was first tested it was prompted by burning when i wiped that what caused my doc to suspect hsv-2. But she was concerned bcuz I would ONLY hace discomfort when I wiped (when i went to the bathroom) not when i walked or had sex. I had another test done in november 2011 (5months after diagnosis) and my obgyn said she did not think i had it. Then it came back hsv-2 pos 3.46. This was 2 years ago. Is it possible it was a fasle positive?
Also i had unprotected sex with my ex who had a small white bump on the shaft of his peni s(which i didnt notice until after we finished) but it was not there the day before or the day after. It just disappeared and when i asked him about it he said it comes and goes periodically. About a week after that encounter is when I started feeling the discomfort when i wipe down there.
Sorry last comment, also i recieved a copy of both test results and the initial said hsv-1 <8.0 and hsv-2 said 8.0. is it possible the number could be a whole number, exactly the same on hsv 1& 2, and could the number drop so much in 5 months?
hsv-1   >8.0 H
hsv-2    8.0 H

hsv-2    3.46
And also it did ittitated down there a little when we had sex AFTER the encounter and but while i was experiencing the discomfort.
even though your 2nd hsv2 result was lower than the first, it's still a positive result.  odds are you really do have hsv2.

if you need peace of mind, seek out a herpes wb blood test to confirm your status.  

grace
But how is it possible both numbers are the same on the first test? And the first test was an igm which said below the results "this test is not cleared or approved by the FDA. This test should not be used to diagnos any medical condition. Should this test be positive it is recommended yo get a second opinion." I paraphrased on the last sentence, don't remember it word for word, but what is that all about?? Why administer a test with such low accuracy...and I have never seen anyone else, so far, with the EXACT same levels of hsv 1 & 2. I have had hsv 1 all my life...so why would the levels be the same on the igm but lower & different on the igg
current cdc recommendations are that adults not be tested for herpes using igm herpes blood testing. it has a high false positive rate. many providers still order it unfortunately.

igm testing is completely different from igg testing. you can't compare the results at all.
So should I accept that I have it or look into testing further bcuz of the possible false positive? I was thinking of getting another igg to compare levels with the second 3.46 test. Then maybe getting the WB.
if you need the Wb for peace of mind, by all means seek it out from your provider.