Herpes Community
HELP!!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HELP!!

I have genital herpes and my partner gets cold sores.  Can we pass our viurses on to each other?  Because both of us have the HSV viurs, are we immuned from catching the other type?
Do you have genital herpes due to HSV I or HSV II?  

If you both have HSV I, you are virtually immune to recatching it in another location.  If you have HSV II & your partner has HSV I, she is NOT immune to acquiring it.
Knowing exactly what type of HPV you have is important. While HPV 1 and HPV 2 are usually site specific - HPV-1 prefers the orolabial area (face, lips) and HPV-2 the genital areas - either virus can infect either place on the body.

Current research suggests that having non-genital HPV-1 (cold sores) offers no immunity to HPV-2 genital herpes but may help reduce the severity of the outbreaks.

Thus it is important to know which type both of you have.

Talk to your doctor or heath provider or STI clinic and get tested.
hpv is the virus that causes warts and certain cancers. it is different from herpes ( hsv ). just be careful when typing to type the right abbreviation so that folks don't get confused.  

grace
Hello and thank you for answering my question.  I am a female and was infected with  HSV-2 about 20 years ago.  My male partner has HSV-1 and as far as I know has had the virus for about the same time.  In my reading on HSV literature, it is my understanding that you can pass on one type to another, but with both of us having the HSV viurs, our bodies can build up some immunity to the other virus, which can help in reducing the risk of transmission.  I am also on Famvior daily which will even further reduce risk of transmission.  I am quite aware that there is always a risk.

Is my understanding correct?
you aren't likely to contract hsv1 from your partner if you don't already have it. hsv2 seems to protect against hsv1 but hsv1 doesn't provide any significant protection against hsv2.  

are you taking your famvir 2x/day?  

your partner has about a 98% odds of NOT contracting hsv2 from you each year if you just avoid sex whenever you have anything going on genitally and you continue on daily suppressive therapy. throw in condom use too and his odds go up to 99%.  

keep asking questions!

grace