Herpes Expert Forum
HOW CONTAGIOUS IS GHSV-1?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HOW CONTAGIOUS IS GHSV-1?

I have recently contracted GHSV-1 (or at least that is what I think it is called).  By both culture and blood I am negative for HSV-2.  By culture I am postive for HSV-1 (I didn't bother with blood).  I most likely contracted it through a female friend via oral sex.  After being diagnosed I asked her to get tested and she was positive for HSV-1 (I was negative, via blood, for HSV-1 before meeting her).

The initial outbreak appeared to be ten red bumps on my stomach (those were tested by culture - the result positive for HSV-1).  They healed up pretty quick. I was put on Valacyclovir (high dose for ten days as they waited for culture results) and then twice a day after that.

Obviously I have HSV-1 now.  And it appears to be GHSV-1 (correct?).  My questions are:

(1) How long does it take for the skin to completely heal.  Although the scabs healed almost immediately and the new skin has grown back the area is still red (and noticeable).  Is this the virus still trying to retreat to my nervous system?  Or is it just irritation of the skin?  

(2) It has been six weeks since being on Valacyclovir and I thought all signs of the outbreak would have vanished by now. How long should this initial cycle take to vanish?

(3) Is it, or the redness, lingering  because I have HSV-1 where it really doesn't want to be?

(4) I've completely given up reading any internet "crap" because it is just that..."crap".  Too many unprofessional opions.  The specialist that I went for the diagnoses told me "not to worry".  He implied that HSV-1 where I have recieved it is not that big of a deal.  That I just need to let it "sleep" and not worry about it again.  Is that true (yes...I realize nothing is 100% "true"...)?

(5) It seems that GHSV-1 is "not as" contagious as OHSV-1 or GHSV-2.  That it is pretty hard to give to anyone else (even discounting the high probability of that person already having HSV-1).  Is that true (or close to true - lol).

Thank you for your time!
1 Comment

I would suspect that it is just healing skin at this point.  The skin of the abdomen is thicker and thus takes longer to heal.  People don't shed asymptomatically from the abdomen for this same reason, so when lesions are not present, you will very likely not be infectious from this site.

Again, I think you are just looking at healing skin at this point, and it may take even longer to look normal.

No.

No, I don't think that's completely true.  You can still be infectious from the genital area, even if you have no symptoms, though certainly less often than if you had HSV 2 genitally.  I also don't think it is a "big deal", but that depends on how you define that, I guess.  It might be less of big deal because lots of people already have HSV 1 infection, also.

Yes, it is close to true.  You can certainly transmit HSV 1 from your genitals to another person, but again, it is less contagious than HSV 2 would be genitally.

Terri