Herpes Community
HSV 1 +, but never had any outbreaks

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 1 +, but never had any outbreaks

I had protected sex last December 27, 2012, and took the test at the clinic this month in Georgia (February 2013) for STD/HIV/AIDS and Herpes. Fortunately, I'm negatively across the board in STD and HIV/AIDS. As far as Herpes is concerned, it's a mixed big. I'm HSV-2 negative (that's awesome), but I have HSV-1, which means I have the 'cold sores'. They advised me I am positive for my HSV-1 results, which is 5.00+. My HSV-2 results is close to 0. I'm so freaking out. :-(

I'm 29 years old and never had any outbreaks or any 'tingling' feels on my lips. I was a virgin until I turned 24/25 years old. I'm NOT a man-***** and will not sleep with girls/women who have the STD disease.

I started using lysine, zinc, and even used Abreva on my lips just to be on the safe side. I sincerely feel I need to retake the test, but this time taking the western blot test. I live near Atlanta, GA. I was so freaking out that I've asked a lot of people at work and my friends about this. They all said to me that I never have any outbreaks. My best friend of 10 years told me that he never saw me with any cold sores whatsoever since 2002.

When I saw the post posted by curious830 a long time ago, I felt her posts offers me some hope that I might have some chance that I could be tested negative for both HSV-1 and HSV-2. The original link is here:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/hsv-1-had-for-a-long-time-hsv-2-positive-test/show/1077773

I feel so hopeless, please help me!!! Should I take the WB test? :(((
your hsv1 igg was over 5. it's not likely to be a false positive. you don't need any further testing.

STOP USING MEDICATIONS ON YOUR LIPS!!!  really, you are wasting your money!!  we never recommend using abreva even when you have obvious cold sores. It barely got fda approval to say it speeds healing of cold sores and it's very over priced.

1 out of every 2-3 people you know has hsv1 orally.  It's incredibly common. by the time we start collecting our social security checks, 80% of us has it. Not many of us get through life without it.  http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  has terrific info on it for more reading.

grace
Should I not pursue the WB?
No reason to
Will there ever be a cure for hsv-1 (cold sores)? Do you think I'll have a hard time finding a girlfriend and being to feel romantic again? I'm afraid I won't be able to kiss a girl again. :((
why would you have a hard time finding a partner when over half the people you know has it?

I don't expect to find a cure for herpes in my lifetime.  
Hello Grace,

It is a month since you replied. I just wanted to let you know I've moved on and reluctantly accept the fact that I have cold sores. I'm going to be fine.  The most important thing is I have a loving family who accepts me. I have great friends and family who are still with me.

Yes, it sucks to be tested positive on HSV-1, but I'm still lucky enough not to have any outbreaks. It could have been worse. I sincerely believe there will be a cure for cold sores and genital herpes. However, by the time that becomes a reality, I'll be an old man. lol

Instead of crippling myself, I will stay strong and act positive. I've been going to church, hanging out with my friends, enjoying photography, and working out at the gym.

Do I need any further testing for genital herpes? I don't have any obvious outbreaks. I was wondering if UTI triggers a retest for genital herpes? Thank you for your further assistance!

Aznsensation
I wouldn't bother retesting from a one time protected encounter that you've had no symptoms from.

glad you are moving forward :)
Even though I don't have genital herpes, this is very good news for all of us. This could indirectly reduce the spread of herpes, even HSV-1. I was wondering what are your thoughts about this?

Link:  http://www.webmd.com/genital-herpes/news/20130508/immune-cell-discovery-may-one-day-lead-to-herpes-vaccine-study

I won't happen tomorrow or next year, but at least it is good to know there are passionate scientists out there working aggressively to put an end to this herpes virus once and for all. Let's cross our fingers and hope this is the case. Until then, I'm looking forward to moving back to California and start school at California State University, San Bernardino. I have a future to build.
good luck on your schooling :)