Herpes Community
HSV 1 & 2 IgG vs IgM tests - confusing

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 1 & 2 IgG vs IgM tests - confusing

At the request of my new girlfriend I just did a whole battery of STD tests, all negative with the exception of HSV.  The results were 6.20 for HSV 1 IgG and 7.10 for HSV 2 IgG.

The reason I am confused in because my HSV 1 and 2 IgM came back negative (<0.8) for both.

I though that if the IgG came positive the IgM will also have to be positvie.  Am I wrong?

* Does this mean that I had herpes, but I don't have it (at least active) anymore?  The numbers on the IgG seem very high!
* Can I still infect my partner even if it is not active?  - I have never had any symptoms in my life, not even mild!
* Can this be dangerous to any of us?
* What can I do?  I heard that there is not cure.  Only medication to control the symptoms or outbreaks, but I nevere had any symptoms of outbreaks.  So, there is nothing I can do?

I care a lot for her and want to protect her, but at the same time I am ashamed of telling her.  Especially if there is nothing I can do and if there is no chance of infecting her.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  I want to do the right thing for her and for me.

Thanks...
I removed your other post. please read our read before posting post on this forum about posting on this forum.

The igm in theory would reflect a newly acquired infection. It's not an accurate blood test for herpes testing though so we don't recommend it ever being done. Looking at your igg numbers, you have well established hsv1 and hsv2 infections. Now you could've been infected 2 months ago or 2 years ago or even 10 years ago - you can't tell but they aren't likely to be false positives.

You need to sit down with your partner and let her know about this. She too will need tested to see what her status is so you can figure out what precautions to take from here on out. You are infected and you can transmit it to a partner even if you don't think you've ever had symptoms.  The free herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a good place to learn more about herpes. You can also purchase Terri's new book "the good news about the bad news " too - it's a terrific resource.

keep asking questions as you have them - just continue them in this post.

grace
Thanks for your response.  After sending the questions I read more of the posts and had a better idea why the IgM test was negative and not too accurate.  That is why I posted the other question removing my doubts about the IgM test.  

I will read the handbooks and post again if I have more questions.

Thanks again!