Herpes Community
HSV 1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 1

Hey forum! So yeah, went for a std test recently, and found out I am HSV 1 positive (Igg test). So... I was a little shocked, but I was kinda expecting it, given that I was a little bi-curious and sexually active for the past year. Despite my commitment to stop my silly and risky acts, I have gone too far. So, here I am, hoping you guys can help me out. :)
So, I have never have any outbreaks of cold sores, ever. Not when I was young, not after my acts, till now, still no outbreaks. Im not sure if it is gonna happen, or maybe not, but how likely is my HSV 1 orally, or genitally? :O
Secondly, why isn't HSV is standard in STD tests, and required to be pointed out? Is it because so many people are infected with it and it isn't a serious health problem other than it's infectiousness? Or am I missing a bigger picture?
I have so many questions, and I would be glad if I can get simple, yet informative answers, or maybe a helpful link, describing A-Z of what I need to know about this, would be much much appreciated. :)
Im sorry if I offended anyone too if my post is offensive. Many apologies.
HSV-1 really isn't something to put yourself down for. According to various sources, somewhere between 57-80% of Americans have it and only 10-15% of us will make it out alive without acquiring HSV-1. To answer your first question, since you've never had an obvious outbreak, it could be either of the two, but most likely it's oral. You really won't know for sure where it's at unless you get a herpes lesion on your lip or genitals and have it swabbed within a couple days of its appearance. The majority of people with oral HSV-1 are asymptomatic and those with it genitally can be asymptomatic too.

HSV-1 isn't in STD tests because it is so prevalent in society. 57-80% of Americans have it. Herpes is the least harmful STD out of them all and is merely a skin condition whereas STDs such as chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause infertility among other health issues.
http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  has terrific info on oral herpes for more reading.

no reason to think your hsv1 isn't oral. most people who have it orally don't get obvious cold sores to know it whereas if you had contracted it genitally, odds are it would've presented with very obvious symptoms you wouldn't have missed.  At your age, 1 out of every 3 people you know has hsv1. It's well worth talking about with potential partners to decide whether to have protected oral sex or not.

why isn't it part of routine std testing? well preaching to the choir with that one but since it's not a significant health risk and more of a nuisance,  it usually isn't included with testing.

grace
Thank you for the link! It is very helpful. :)

However, if I may ask, is there any ways to prevent the spreading of oral herpes? Many suggests not to engage oral sex, even kissing when there are active outbreaks, however asymptomatic shedding do occurs which can transmit the virus too (am I right?).
Below are a couple links regarding your concerns. For starters, you are highly, highly unlikely to spread your own HSV-1 to another part of your body. In the rare instances that this does actually happen, it occurs during the primary outbreak. After that, your body creates antibodies, which basically prevent you from getting herpes in another location. In short, you have nothing to worry about in transmitting this to another part of your body.

You should NOT kiss or perform oral sex when you have an active herpes lesion, and should only perform oral if your partner is OK with the possibility of contracting HSV-1 if they don't already have it. The majority of people with oral HSV-1 don't tell partners before they kiss that they have it, so that decision is yours. In regards to transmitting this to someone else, oral HSV-1 sheds approximately 18-20% of days and you obviously can infect someone when no lesions are present.

To put this more in perspective for you, over half of Americans under 30 have HSV-1 already orally, and are dang near immune to catching it again despite location. Some experts say it's impossible; some say it's extremely, extremely unlikely. In short, if they have HSV-1 already then really there are no necessary precautions to be taken.

Below are a couple of threads to help you out:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Partners-have-different-HSV1-genital--oral-/show/1129351

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Spreading-Cold-Sores-or-HSV1/show/1822568
Thank you so much for the links! :)
However how about sharing objects, such as a spoon, or a dish? I might be a little paranoid about this, but I am guessing a no? Cause if it were to be transmitted so easily, everyone would have had it already. Or, I am wrong in this?
Although in America over half of the people are diagnosed with hsv1 under 30, I do not live in America. Im from Asia (Malaysia to be exact). And perhaps I haven't seen it all, but herpes isn't a serious issue brought up with awareness. So, I'm not sure how many percent of the population are infected...

Or maybe I'm just overreacting again, like everyone.
correct, sharing food and drinks isn't a real risk as an adult. romantic type kisses are the real risk as well as performing oral sex.

the rates of hsv1 infection are about the same if not even higher in malaysia.    even though you don't see folks walking around with obvious cold sores, it's still there.

so how do you protect a partner during oral sex? well talk about it with your partner.  if they have hsv1 themselves, not an issue. if they don't, ask if they only want to have protected oral sex or not.  
Hahahaha. Well, rest assured, I don't have a partner anymore, and I won't be engaging into any form of sex soon, as I want to be abstain for the time. I am thinking it's time to slow down a little. :)

If I may ask one last question, and it might be kinda silly, but, even if I have HSV 1, can I practice medicine and be a doctor? Im 19, and being a doctor is my goal. I know it is kinda silly, but is there any limits someone can be a doctor?
Having HSV-1 doesn't have any affect on you becoming a doctor. Since 57-80% of people in America have HSV-1 (more or less in other countries) you can assume that over half of the doctors out there have HSV-1.
Hahahaha. Silly me. Asking funny questions. ;)

Anyway, thank you for everything you have provided me castello and grace! I am perfectly informed about everything I need to know about my condition. :) And one last question, any information or a good thumbs up that I should practice and be aware of? Any last final important advice for me? :)
the link on oral herpes I gave you really covers it all :)
Great! Thanks a bunch! :)
Dear forum,

I kinda been back, because I realized something before?
Initially, I said I did not encounter an outbreak before.
HOWEVER, I just only realized around a year ago, I did have an itchy period on my butt cheeks.
There are some bumps, but it wasn't painful, not that bumpy either. It was on the gluteal fold (the folding between the butt cheeks and the legs). I scratched it a lot.
Now, not to overreact here, but I am not sure whether was it an outbreak, or just a skin condition. I did had a jock itch condition near that time too, which could be that too.
Unfortunately, I did not went to a dermatologist, nor a doctor to have it checked. I disregarded it as the same fungal infection like the jock itch, and applied the cream I used for the jock itch, and it seems to work.
Even though after so long, I only vaguely remember it, it seems to persists for months, before I start applying the cream, compared to the common period of a first herpes outbreak, which lasts about a maximum of 2 weeks (am I right?)
I wish you guys can give me an insight on this issue.
Thanks a bunch. :)
Herpes doesn't persist for months without change, so this is evident that it's not herpes (if you haven't had any new sexual partners since your last post) and probably jock itch or irritation.
This actually happened between partners when I was still sexually active, and before I got tested (literally almost a year ago since the test) too. So, anyway, no point whining over it. Thanks for the insight castello. :)