Herpes Community
HSV 1-2 IGG Test Results Question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 1-2 IGG Test Results Question

Hello Everyone,
about 9 months ago I had strange symptoms which I thought might be related to either ingrown hairs from improper shaving or possibly herpes. When my GF at the time shortly thereafter had a cold sore on her lip I decided I definitely needed to have it checked out. I went to the doctor and had a culture test and both the IGG and IGH blood tests done. At the time of testing the pimples/ingrown hairs/possible lesions had scabbed over but were still visible. The culture test came back negative, the IGH test came back positive for either HSV1 or HSV2 and the IGG tests came back negative for both. My doctor informed me the IGH tests were unreliable and could be reacting to a plethora of different ailments that were not herpes. he felt fairly confident I did not have herpes and recommended I get myself tested later on with another IGG just to be sure. So now about 9 months after the initial concern of exposure without any similar recurring symptoms I had another IGG done. The result just came back today as equivocal at .9. So I have two questions. First off the test says equivocal may indicate an early infection, However It was been over 6 months since I could have possibly been exposed. Also I was told the IGG was type specific, yet there is only one number on my test of .9 and it says HSV1/HSV2. So is there an IGG test that is not type specific between HSV1 and HSV2 that they gave me instead? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you had a combined test which is a complete waste of time/money. Grace can comment further, she's the test expert here :-)

I assume you really mean igm test, not igh?

an equivocal igg 9 months later is negative and no reason to worry.

the only accurate way to diagnose hsv1 genitally is a lesion culture of active symptoms. No need for any further blood testing at this point. should your genital symptoms reoccur, be seen within 48 hours of their appearance for a lesion culture. Your original lesion culture when things were scabbed was a total waste of time and money too :(

grace
Yes I should have said igm not igh. I assumed the culture on a scabbed dry exposure would more than likely be useless but I suppose it was easy for the Dr. to decide to spend my money on it:). Very glad to know the equivocal is negative this long after potential exposure which is in line with the assumption I had made, especially considering I never had recurring symptoms and the first symptoms were more than likely caused by something else. I really appreciate both of your input on this matter, it has definitely helped clear up any remaining doubts I had.