Herpes Community
HSV 1 IgG test results: need help interpreting

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

6 months ago I received an IgG HSV 1 blood test, the result was < 0.2.

Recently I took the test again, just to be sure of the results. This time it came back 1.0.

On the lab results it states: Negative is under 0,8. Borderline/equivocal is 0.8 - 1.1. Positive is over 1.1.
(I took both tests outside of the US, that's why the numbers and their definitions may seem different).

The lab results state that an infection could not be affirmed.

Even though I tested borderline this time, since there has been an increase since my first test, do I assume I have HSV1? When I took the first HSV test, I might have only recently (around 2 weeks) been infected, so the anti-bodies probably did not have time to develop. It seems the fact that the antibodies have increased from less than .2 to 1 can't be a good sign, since the results aren't getting more negative. Does anyone know what's the difference in significance between 1 and 1.1? Am I only testing 1 perhaps because my immune system is doing well and is suppressing the HSV?

Thanks in advance.
it's still a negative hsv1 igg.

do you currently have a partner? if so , have they been tested?

grace
I haven't had a partner since I think I was exposed to HSV1, 7 months ago. The person I was with took the HSV1 IgG test and reported back that he is positive for HSV1. However, he believes that the test picked up on the oral HSV1 he has, as he has had cold sores in the past. It doesn't seem possible to differentiate between oral HSV1 and genital HSV1 through a blood test. He did not have any genital herpes symptoms, but like most men he may be asymptomatic. I can't remember ever having oral herpes. However, and this may be a little too much information, he did not perform oral sex on me and so I am not sure how I could have received genital HSV1 if he only had oral HSV1.

I should probably note that the first time I got tested was because I had physical symptoms of herpes, although my "breakout" was very small. Since the initial "breakout," I may have had another one but I'm not sure. I was hoping getting the blood test again would really clarify things. But given the physical symptoms I had in the past, and the increase in my index number, wouldn't it seem as though all signs are pointing to... I have HSV1?

Does anyone know the typical index number for a positive HSV1 IgG test? I read on another forum that positive results are typically into the 3's, but then why would the borderline cut-off come at over 1.1?

I'm also confused about what my physical symptoms might have been, if I don't indeed have HSV1.
your former partner had a history of cold sores. He knows his hsv1 is oral. No reason to think he had genital hsv1.

best thing to do is to be seen when you have genital symptoms for further evaluation. I wouldn't waste any more time on herpes blood testing.

What is ur current level of IGG . Mine is similar case.
Igm at 9 days was 0.58 for hsv1 and IGG 0.2
After close to 6 months (5 days short) IGG is 0.71 , <0.8 is negative as per report.
Does this increase in IGG indicates infected by HSV1
I would request grace to help me with her inputs please.
Thanks in advance
you need to start your own thread so it does not get confusing. thanks