Herpes Expert Forum
HSV-1 Oral Question

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV-1 Oral Question

I haven't gotten a follow-up answer over at the STD experts forum and I'm not sure what the correct protocol is but since Dr. Hook said my STD risk was low except for HSV-1 because of kissing and this is a Herpes specific forum I felt this was the best place to go. If not, please let me know.

On 9/24 I had protected oral and light open mouth kissing with two people before and after they performed cunniligus on each other. 5 days later I had general flu symptoms, achiness, night-sweats, fatigue and chills, loss of appetite, mild headache, dry cough, scratchy throat but no fever.

I also noticed REALLY little tiny white bumps (1mm or less) on my lips some are clustered, some are in a line, they don’t hurt or itch but I can feel them now with my tongue if I lick over them. Dr. Hook said that HSV-1 could be a possibility and that I should go to a healthcare provider and get a culture or PCR test. I went to an Urgent care clinic and the PA on duty said, it didn’t look like herpes and that they are too small to culture, she said “In order to take a culture we’d have to puncture the blister and take a sample of the liquid that drains, these spots are too small to puncture, sample or culture.”

Past blood tests (6 months ago) were negative for all STDs and HSV-1/2.

Because she couldn’t tell me what they are, and because I have read that herpes can present in all sorts of different ways and some internet sites say these white dots are a sign of herpes, others say they are just Fordyce spots, I am still concerned. I am wondering if I should try to find another healthcare provider who might know more or just accept the PA’s diagnosis, or is waiting 3 months for a blood test the only way to be sure?

It has now been 10 days and most of my symptoms have subsided or are at least more mild, but the white spots still remain.

Thank you for your help.
I would say that if the PA said the bumps were too small to culture, they are very likely NOT herpes.  If you look closely at the lips of most people, you will find little white bumps.  However, if you are still concerned, and want a swab test done, it is not necessary to break open the bumps when doing a PCR.  the swab can just be rubbed over the bumps and be sent to the lab.  

The other symptoms that you describe are very general and could be caused by anything at all and are not specific to  herpes.  

I think your description of your activity, like Dr. Hook, is low risk, and perhaps the only risk is kissing.

Hope this is helpful

Terri
Thank you for your help!

I’m now at day 12 and I would hate to spend another $175 to hear “I don’t think that’s herpes” but can’t tell me what it is or do any tests. Is there a specific place I should go that would definitively know or will absolutely test if I ask?

Should I go to a Dermatologist? Or Plan Parenthood? Or somewhere else?

Or is this all just crazy at this point and herpes is REALLY recognizable despite what the internet might say, and the PA would have recognized it.  
Well, if you were going to go to someone else, I would recommend a dermatologist.  

Alternatively, you could just wait and do nothing and see if the bumps changes.  Herpes changes over time, it evolves, and usually within a week or two from bumps to blisters to scabs to healing.  I think it would be fine just to wait and do nothing and see if any of that happens.

Terri