Herpes Community
HSV-1 Symptoms

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV-1 Symptoms

I was recently diagnosed with genital HSV-1 (swab test) following a primary outbreak.  I was put on anti-viral medication and within 4-5 days the symptoms had completely disappeared.  However, since that time (4 weeks ago) I have had a strange tingling feeling in the area but there have been no sores present.  I called my doctor back and they put me on suppression therapy (Valtrex 500 mg per day).  The doctor said she didn't know why I was still having the tingling sensation but it may be caused by nerve damage since the virus moves along the nerves.  

Two questions:
1.) is it common to have constant tingling or "chaffing" feelings?  If not how can you eliminate them?
2.) does the tingling feeling mean that I am having another minor outbreak with no symptoms or am viral shedding?

Thanks for your insights.
Tags: HSV-1
herpes doesn't cause nerve damage to cause those sensations. Hard to tell if it's just still the initial infection running its course, a genitally focused anxiety making you think about your genital area far too often or something else going on.

typically we don't recommend suppressive therapy for hsv1. It tends not to reoccur very often and it also doesn't shed much so you don't get a lot of "bang for your buck" with suppression.  

did they also do any other std testing for you like for ngu, chlamydia, gonorrhea and a manual inspection of your prostate?

grace
Hi Grace,
Thanks for the response.  They did the 8 panel test along with the swab.  The only thing that came up was HSV-1 on the swab test and on the blood work 2 weeks later.  Judging by your question I am guessing you are recommending that I go in for a prostate check?  

I am hoping this is just clearing from the initial outbreak.  I have read online that the initial outbreak can last up to 3-4 weeks.  

Thanks again
yes the first ob can take a few weeks to fully run its course. You can try something as simple as go bottomless when you can to reduce friction to the genital area ( a bathrobe will keep you from freezing your tender bits in this weather ) and also try taking advil 3 times a day for a few days. Sometimes the advil breaks the inflammatory process as well as breaks the pain cycle to get you feeling back to normal faster.  Also soaking in the tubby with epsom salts thrown is also often soothing too.