Herpes Expert Forum
HSV 1 and 2

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV 1 and 2

Hi Terri,

6 Months back, I got STD testing done at Quest labs and HSV2 IGG came positive. Below are the results

HSV 1/2 IGG, HERPESELECT TYPE SPECIFIC AB HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB <0.90 index () 5206-8 Abnormal
HSV 1/2 IGG, HERPESELECT TYPE SPECIFIC AB HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB 3.87 index () 5209-2 Abnormal

3 days after that, I got the same test done at Labcorp and it came negative. Below are the exact words

HSV1 and 2-specific Ab, IgG:
HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec         <0.91
HSV2 IgG Type Spec                <0.91

After that, I got labcorp tests done at 6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months and 6 month period post exposure and all came negative. For all the tests, my doctor has written to perform herpesselect test but I guess they ran Captiva since labcorp does not do herpesselect.

Below is my exposure to STDs (Sorry if I am being very specific)
Fingering girls in strip clubs
Hand jobs
Fingered 2 gals and put the finger in my mouth
Licking and sucking on ****. One of the girls was lactating

I never had actual sex (penis penetration) in my entire life. I am 29 now and planning to get married. I am very worried if I have herpes I might pass it on to future wife. I can get western blot testing done but for some reason I am very scared to do it thinking what would I do if I get positive results… Last 6 months have been terrible in my life with various conditions coming into picture... Seborrheic dermatitis, Rosacea, B12 deficiency, thyroid levels gradually increasing, tinnitus, sinus, pulsating headaches etc... I am still on depression medication. I got all other STD tests (Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, HIV, Hepatitis panel, Syphilis) done at labcorp too at 6 month period to rule out other conditions.

Please advice as what I should do. What are my chances I might be negative with western blot testing and would you recommend it for me?

Thank you...
I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of having herpes.  You haven't had an experience that puts you at risk for an STD.  I have no idea why your first test was positive for HSV 2 unless there was some mix up in the lab samples.  

I would only recommend western blot testing for you if you thought it would help reassure you that the first test was a fluke and was not accurate.  

The herpeselect and captia tests are both good, no worry that you got one test or the other.  Both of those tests are type specific, that is that can separate HSV 1 from HSV 2.  Again, I'm not sure what happened with the first test, but if all the subsequent tests are negative, then I would write it off to some kind of error, though I know it must have been worrisome.

Terri

Main difference between the first Quest and Labcorp tests was getting liquid nitrogen treatment for the warts (About 10 of them) on my fingers. I do not have cold sores I think but I do have pimples on my face... a lot of em and once it hurt a lot when I tried to pee, have two red dots behind my penis which show up only when I masturbate etc.. My semen is also itchy I noticed.