Herpes Expert Forum
HSV 1 or 2

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV 1 or 2

Approx. a year ago I had sex with a lady I met at a bar. I used a condom that broke. So around 2 days after this incident I begin to itch everywhere. When I mean everywhere it was all over my body. After 3 weeks of me bed ridden the itch continued but only in my groin. I have seen the doctor several times and she has always told me its just a yeast infection or balantis. She was convinced that it wasn't herpes.

I am really at my wits end with this now. The itch has lasted for months and won't go away. Also about 3 weeks ago an ulcer develop at the base of my penis ( right where the pubic hair and shaft begin, more in the pubic hair). It showed around Wednesday night and I was only able to get a culture test at Saturday at 12pm. Anyways it came back negative. Now my Doctor told me basically that its not herpes and I should go on with my life.

May I add that I have been tested for every STD also ( All negative after 6 months) . Although no blood test for HSV has been done.

As we speak the itch in my genital is severe and I am just distraught. I am convinced that HSV is the only thing causing this. I have never had anything like this before. Does this sound like a classic HSV case ?
It does not sound at all like classic herpes to me.  Herpes can certainly cause itching, but it is intermittent, not constant.  

May I ask why you've not any herpes antibody testing?  You need an IgG HSV 1 and 2 antibody test - NOW.  You've certainly had time in the past year to develop antibody if you do have herpes infection.  Have you ever in  your life had a cold sore on your lip?  If yes, then you have HSV 1 infection, and if you test positive for HSV 1 antibody, its due to that.  

Terri
My doctor asked for a culture test. She assumes that I already have HSV 1 oral since I know my mother has had it since she was a kid. Also I have never had a coldsore that I remember. Is that culture test going to be accurate at all? My doctor was pleased that it hadn't healed over yet and was still moist inside. She was convinced that it was a good swab to take.

Do not assume that since your mom had HSV 1 that you also have HSV 1.  The swab test may or may not be accurate - I would still recommend an IgG antibody test - do NOT get an IgM antibody test, OK?

Terri
Okay, I will be getting the blood test done August 6th ( tomorrow ). I will post my results. How long will it take to get my results? Thanks for your input on my situation also.
It should take a week or two to get results.

Terri