Herpes Community
HSV-1 transmission through utensils

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV-1 transmission through utensils

I know fairly well about HSV1 and transmission routes, however, an unpleasant incident happened that concerns me.
A friend of mine had blisters ion her lip that looked like cold sores to me (scattered blisters with a yellowish cap).

I tasted food, and gave my fork to her so she could taste it as well. I totally forgot and I put the fork in my mouth again. She touched the fork once.

Now my question is:

1- Are those blisters really cold sores?

2- What are the chances that I may have been infected? The worst case scenario, and hopefully this is not 100%!

Thank you for the help.

Regards,
Foolo!
as an adult, oral herpes is almost exclusively transmitted through romantic type kisses. sharing utensils isn't a risk at all and not worth any worrying about.

have you ever been tested for herpes to know your own status while herpes is on your mind?

grace

grace
Hi Grace!

I really appreciate your response and sorry for my late reply, for some reason I just got an email regarding your response.

It is good to know that, but still I would not try it! haha

I don't have herpes. The reason I know a lot about it is that my ex had HSV-1 genitally and we managed to contain it just to her for over 1 year that we were together. So yeah I got regularly tested.

The stigma is really unfortunate and really hard to make people deal with it. Personally my problem is the life style changes.  I am not really good with that.

Thanks again!
Foolosopher