HSV 1
I was just diagnosed with hsv 1 a week ago, through an IGG. My IGM showed positive, but i was told that the IGM could be 1 or 2. I am so nervous and have to wait 3 months now to see if I just have type 1 or have type 2. What is the probability that I have type 2 also?
An IgM is worthless for diagnosing herpes. You should have had an IgG type specific test.

Did you also have symptoms?

You already had an IgG - that is the proper test. You stated you have HSV1 - did the IgG reveal that? What was the numeric value? There should have been a test for HSV2 as well.
This probably means, that some time in your life you've had a cold sore.

Yes Igm is worthless and I just posted yesterday that I heard that from one of the most prominent Infectious Desease Professors in the country and he said not only is it worthless for detecting herpes antibodies but some Dr's think it is an indicator of a recent infection but in reality it is an indicator of nothing.

Does anyone think it is possible that Dr's know it is worthless but just like to keep billing for it?
After re-reading your post I am confused and maybe you are to.  So first of all Igg and Igm are two different tests so for which were you positive.

I am guessing you've only had an Igm and it is not type specific that is why your Dr is now doing the Igg and told you that you have to wait.

In my opinion your Dr. wasted both your time and money by even requesting Igm.  this is the test that was used before they invented the type specific Igg test and now they have discovered that Igm isn't very accurate anyhow.

My IGG was positive for only type 1 not 2, but the IGM was positive, which doesn't differentiate 1 or 2. So that's why i'm asking if it is probably just a recent infection with type 1. I had an IGG 5 months ago that was totally neg. and never had a cold sore. I do have mild symptoms of genital hsv1currently. I am just hoping that it is just hsv 1!
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/248394  is a terrific former post by HHH that explains why the herpes igm test is a worthless test and shouldn't be used to diagnose herpes. Basically totally disregard your igm results.

So you have genital symptoms that a provider thought might be due to herpes so instead of culturing and typing the active symptoms, they drew a blood test on you? Do I have that correct?

grace