Herpes Community
HSV 1&2 - Should I retest?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 1&2 - Should I retest?

On Monday of this week, my Dr called to confirm that I had positive test for HSV 1&2. The IgG levels were around 2.40 for both. (Sorry, I can't remember the exact numbers). After reading all the post about false positive HSV results, I am praying that this may be my case as well. Should I ask my Dr to retest for HSV using the Western Blot? I haven't experienced any symptoms other than some itching in the vaginal area. The main reason for the Dr visit for this testing, I had a ulcer in the vaginal area that came after intercourse. My thoughts were that it was an irritation because during intercourse a condom was used but I was extremely dry. (Sorry, this is graphic) He would literally pull all the out and then back in so this is what I think the spot came from. I told my Dr who did a swab test on the spot, but no bacteria grew.. It is like my Dr just dismissed my story of the dryness, she was already preparing the positive herpes test. I really want to make sure that I am telling future partners the correct info. If I am not really positive, I don't want to have to go through the anxiety of telling false information to partners. Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Ms. Confused
how long prior to blood testing had you last had sex?

any chance of getting this partner to get herpes igg blood testing and share their results with you?

grace
Several weeks prior to the ulcer appearing, we had an incident were the condom broke. He was tested by IGG on Wednesday, he stated the lab results came back negative for him.

Maybe those levels were the IgM levels? When my doctor gave me the results, she made it sound like it wasn't something new. Like I have had the antibodies present in system for awhile.
Timeline:

Feb 9th - Intercourse without protection
Feb 14th - Intercourse with condom - condom broke
Feb 22 & 23 - Intercourse with condom w/ extreme dryness
Feb 23 or 24th - Notice blister or ulcer - discomforting feeling in the area
Feb 26th - Went to Dr for testing
Mar 4th - Received test results back +
Mar 6 - Partner was tested
Mar 8 - Partner received test results -
your partner will need to find out what testing he had done to know his status.

if he's negative by herpes igg blood testing, seek out the herpes WB to confirm your status.
My partner testing was the IgG.