Herpes Community
HSV 2- Possibly?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 2- Possibly?

Hi Grace,

I'm 22 and a nervous wreck. For the past couple years I've gotten these sometimes long and sometimes really tiny paper cut like lines or cuts in the crease between my inner and outer labia I guess is what you call it. I also get little paper cut like things on my perineum. This usually happens during or right after my period and when I have sex around the time of my period. It's also happened if I'm really dry or something and I have sex. I get red  down there and a little swollen after sex sometimes.

Anyway, the last unprotected encounter I had was Dec. 1 2012 and I didn't have any symptoms different that what I just described but like I said I have gotten those well before this person. I got tested Feb. 19th 2013 so that was 11.5 weeks after the encounter. My Herpeselect IGG Type Specific HSV 1/2 test had <.90 in the "in range" column and that meant negative according to the reference range listed. This was a quest diagnostics test. I was tested for other std's too that were negative.

I also felt tingling recently but it was only when I was really focusing on it and researching about prodrome. My anxiety is always really high about everything. I also have sciatic nerve issues but still it scared me.

Do you think is HSV-2 or something like a yeast/fungle/bacteria/hormone thing?

Thank you for your help!
I wanted to add that I was <.90 for both HSV 1 and HSV 2. The results were listed seperately for each type
I'd start to be seen every time you have symptoms. they can test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally when you are seen. it's ok if you have your period when you have them.  

do you use pads for your period?

grace
I use tampons and I always seem to be more irritated and then once my period is over and not using tampons things seem to be better. I don't always get really irritated but I do sometimes. The last time I had a Pap smear was 3 years ago. The little cuts don't always seem like cuts I guess it's more like skin was rubbed off a little or something.

Do you think I would have tested positive for hsv 1 or 2 by now with the blood test? Do you think  this sounds like hsv 2?
one gal I knew had reactions to the strings on her tampons. maybe change brands or try the unbleached ones you can find in natural stores and see if that irritates you as much too.  

no reason to suspect herpes as a cause.
Another reason I was scared is that the nurse at urgent care read my results and said I was fine and then I went to pick up a copy of them and the doctor said I should be re tested for hsv 2 and that I was positive. He was a jerk and didn't hardly look at my lab results and he kept pointing to the index saying those were my results and that I tested all three negative equivocal and positive and I was too upset to catch the mistake. My in range column for both 1 and 2 clearly states <.90 and then reference range says "index" and my number meant negative. He didn't even acknowledge that part of the lab test and just pointed to the whole index table and said I tested all three results. I had never mentioned to him anything that I told you about in my earlier posts.

Am I missing something or is this guy an idiot? My friend who is a nurse and my friend who does labs both said I'm negative.

Ok, thank you Grace. I appreciate your advice and what you do here. I think it's really awesome!

Thank you again! I will definitely talk to my doctor and see what's going on.
Hi Grace,

I'm sorry to ask more questions but I was wondering how likely it is to get hsv 2 from protected sex from a one time encounter (not knowing whether this person has it or not but if they did how likely)?

I feel like ive become obsessed with this. I'm constantly thinking about hsv 2 I'm not sure why I'm so obssessed with it. I had unprotected sex one time with this guy and was tested after 11.5 weeks as I said above and was negative but then I had a one time protected encounter with someone else but that was in early January so when I was tested it was only 5 weeks since that guy.

I just keep thinking what if what if what if. I did go to the gyno and explained any symptom I ever had and she said it sounded normal and just irritation from many possible things. She read my results from the clinic and said I was negative and to chill out but I just can't help it. She told me she knew about the Western blot and said if I had herpes I would have blisters most likely and she seemed knowledgeable. Info she gave me matched pretty well with what you guys say on here.

I was negative for all yeast and bv and all that stuff. Testing negative for yeast and bv at the time of a pap smear just mean you dont currently have an infection?

Why do I keep worrying so much? ugh.
really low risk from a one time encounter - even if it's not protected.

perhaps it's time to talk to a professional about your anxiety so you can learn some better coping skills to  move forward from this?
I probably should talk to someone. I just feel constantly nervous about it like I can't trust the results. I'm afraid that I just haven't shown antibodies yet or something. The internet has fueled my anxiety. It's scary that a lot people don't show symptoms or have such mild symptoms they don't even notice or are different symptoms than blisters.

My doctor told me that generally speaking most people show antibodies before 3 months. Is that true?
turn off the computer!! you don't need to add to your anxieties needlessly!!  for most of us the weather is getting better so plenty of things you can do that are far healthier for you mentally and physically than sitting around googling std's!!

over 3/4's of folks test accurately by 3 months which is why we recommend waiting that long.  
Ok thank you Grace. I'm going to try your suggestions. Ahh I'm such a worry wart. Thank you again for your help.
If you've been having these symptoms for years, they're probably not related to the two encounters you described.

I definitely understand your anxiety -- I've been having my own set of unexplained symptoms with negative tests (1 IgG, 1 WB!), but still can't seem to let it go. I definitely agree with Grace that talking to someone can help -- that's what I plan to do.

Not a lot of advice to offer other than be seen when you have the symptoms, and try to take care of yourself. Just wanted to post in solidarity :)
Thank you for your comment! Ahh it's so frustrating with the constant worry even though the test and a doctor and Grace tell me otherwise.

Were your symptoms similar to mine? I don't always get the symptoms but I do sometimes and they always seem to be related to my period. I also have a suspicion it may be related to birth control I used to take but I haven't been on it in over a year but I've read that sometimes things just get weird for awhile after birth control so I don't know....argh! I explained the symptoms to my doctor and she acted like it was normal and she said people just react different to everything so nothing I said made her worry but still.

I almost want to retest again just for more clearity but I don't think it's necessary but part of me keeps thinking oh no what if it will say positive next!

I really need to chill out....goodness
My symptoms are more neurological -- back pain, nerve pain in the legs and buttocks, and general genital irritation that moves around and changes in intensity. It's been going on for close to three months now, so I'm trying to tell myself that duration alone rules out herpes, but I understand how hard it can be to let go of the idea once it lodges in your brain. It can also be frustrating when doctors don't really take your complaints seriously. Just because it doesn't worry them doesn't mean it isn't worrying us!

Just keep being seen and keep the faith -- the tests are very good, and there's never going to be a way that you can be CERTAIN that you don't have it. Medicine just isn't to that point yet, so we have to trust what we can, which are the doctors and tests.

Keep being seen when you have symptoms, and keep us updated!
I have back pain, nerve pain in legs and butt too and tingling but I've had those issues for years and years.

I don't know if you have already looked into this or not but some possibilities may be sciatica, piriformis syndrome, and it could be something as simple as severly tight hamstrings that are pulling down on your back muscles causing everything to be out of wack. My chiropractor found some weird muscle on me that was super tight and messed up that is located around your oblique muscles and apparently that was causing me issues. Also check out disc denegeration in your back. I have that from injuries that didn't heal properly from sports.

Your symptoms sound identical to ones I've had forever. Try stretching daily too. There are lots of back and leg stretches online. Another idea is neck muscles. It's amazing how everything is connected!
Thanks for the words of support! Be sure to update if anything new comes up.

Best of luck.
Hi Grace,

I was starting to calm down but now I have more questions.

I have bad allergies and I was taking Allegra but then quit taking it for 4 days and my throat and right ear were hurting really bad but I wasn't that sniffly and my nose wasn't running much. Then within a day or two I developed a fever of 103 (this was on Friday but I think I had the fever Thursday too). I went to the doctor and she tested me for strep, mono, and ear infection all were negative. She said my sinuses were inflamed and I fluid in my right ear so she said it was a severe sinus infection even though my nose hadn't been too runny. I had been having chills and body aches in my neck, butt, and legs and they lasted for days and she said a fever of 103 would cause body aches.

Anyway she put me on heavy antibiotics that I've been on since Friday and my fever went away, body aches went away and ear pain went away. However now I feel itchy in my vaginal area for the past day or 2 and it looks a little red and I had some white discharge and on the right labia area in the crease it looks like there are three tiny little spots on my skin that look a little like the skin was rubbed off but they are really small and barely noticeable I just noticed them because I check down there all the time.

Could this be a yeast infection or irritation from antibiotics? Or does it sound herpes related because of the fever and body aches and now the itchy and redness?
I'm sure Grace will chime in again, but try to be seen as soon as possible to get an expert's opinion! This sounds yeast related since you were on antibiotics, but the best way to be certain is to have a doctor look.
Thanks! Yes that's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure if I will be able to get into the doctor but Im going to at least call her. She said I could call with any questions like this. The itching started after 3 days on the antibiotics and I have to take them twice a day until Monday ughhhhhh. I'm feeling better though down there this morning just slightly itchy but nothing major so far.